•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a block heater... what works best?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Exclamation Need a block heater... what works best?

My family and I are moving to Edmonton, AB in a month, and in order to prepare our cars, I'm looking into installing block heaters for both. I'm finding the information very easily for my own car, but her Aveo is providing some trouble.

I've looked everywhere online and have not been able to find an OE block heater. The Chevy dealers around here have all told me that it would be a special order, and may take time to obtain. Since we'll be moving up there in the dead of winter, I need to make sure this car has a heater installed before we get up there. I need advice from you northerners on which one is best suited for an Aveo:

Dipstick heater: Didn't even know they had such a thing, generic so it would probably have to be trimmed to fit. Easiest, but probably the least efficient.

Hose heater: Connected to one of the coolant hoses. Pretty easy to install, but I don't know if the heat would be sufficient for this type of engine.

OE heater: Best choice, but it's unclear whether or not I can get one in time.

Magnet heater: I really don't like the idea. Not gonna even consider it, to be honest.

Those of you who use block heaters or who have had them installed... what kind do you have, and out of the options available, what kind would you recommend? Thank you for your input!

Thanks
      I just got a heater for my other car. I wanted something that would warm up the car ASAP so I didn't have to wait and could use it on a whim or unplanned trip. I don't leave it plugged in all the time because they're huge energy hogs. Anyawy, I ended up getting a katz 1000W circulating heater. I figure even 30 minutes with it on should give the coolant a good boost in temperature. To go along with it, I got a remote control switch for it. So, I get up in the morning, turn on the block heater, get ready and go out to a warm car.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering a Kat's frost plug heater that fits the Aveo, so we'll see how it turns out. Only one Chevy dealer around here could find the factory block heater in the computer system, and they wanted $80 for the plug and an additional $60 for the cord, with a wait time of at least 2 weeks. Ordered the Kat's version on Amazon for less than $30 and they'll have it to me on Monday, more than enough time to get it installed.

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      You dont need a block heater, like they say once you start plugging a car in, you will need to plug it all the time... imo pain in the butt.

The car will warm up fast enough even in the coldest of winters, ive had zero problems starting my aveo in -30 degrees C.

I had the oem block heater on my 1.6 and i never used it...

A good battery and decent spark plugs are your friends!
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Nemasys View Post
      You dont need a block heater, like they say once you start plugging a car in, you will need to plug it all the time... imo pain in the butt.
      I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that there's a need to plug it in once you start to due to some mechanical reason, or just due to habit and desire of wanting a warm vehicle?

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      From what people have told me, with a stock block heater of course. The car gets a "habit" of getting plugged in, and if you forget to plug it one cold night you might have trouble starting the car next morning.

Ive heard that quite a few times actually from different people, im not sure if its just a fluke or if its real, i cant say as ive never used the block heater so.
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      I lived in Iowa for a winter. I did not have any trouble starting the car at 0. I did have problems getting the windows to stay clear and it would take about 20mins of driving to start catching up. I have an Aveo5 2006.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      My Wave never let me down in cold weather. I never plug it in. I was leaving my parents house in -35C weather... the car couldn't even stay warm at idle, but no problems starting it.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      i live in upstate NY right on Lake Ontario where the weather is anywhere from 10* to -10* F with wind-chill and ive NEVER had an issue with my car starting or running..
      Last edited by tidus10; 11-04-2010 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Hazed_blue View Post
      Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering a Kat's frost plug heater that fits the Aveo, so we'll see how it turns out.
      What's the wattage of the one you ordered? That'll be the biggest factor in how well it works. I'm guessing it's ~350w.

It's unlikely you'd have any trouble starting your car where you're going without a block heater, as long as your battery is good.

But a heater is much better for the engine than an extreme cold start - warm oil gets circulated where it's needed much more quickly. I can hear the difference in the engine sound at start-up between a (very) cold start compared to a start after using a block/coolant heater. Also, it's nice to have cabin heat within a couple of minutes of starting up.

I've been using a block heater for years. I'm a fan of the inline tank-style circulating heater, mostly because they come in the most powerful versions. Which means the coolant gets warmer, and you don't have to plug it in for as long. I've got an 800w one now. Was using an external, bolt-on element style OEM heater that was 350w before.

Nemasys: I've heard that rumour before too - about block heaters "spoiling" a car. It's not true. When I asked for an explanation, there wasn't one. The only possible one I can think of is an engine that is in really bad shape (tune) may start with help from a block heater, but not without it. But that's a basic maintenance issue, not a block heater issue. Like you said: good spark & a strong battery.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast