•  

Thread: My engine died.. So I got a new one... FOR FREE

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Talking My engine died.. So I got a new one... FOR FREE

So 14th of January 2016, driving a short distance on my way to work, cruising at around 50km/h in 5th gear. I noticed an accident ahead so I started slowing down, a traffic cop waved me on so I shifted to 4th and started to accelerate. All of a sudden, all the warning lights turned on and the engine cut out. Thinking I some how managed to stall it while moving, I kept the ignition on and popped the clutch out but she still wouldn't start. "Have I ran out of fuel?" I thought, the answer was no, I had half a tank.

So I pulled to the side of the road, popped the bonnet, couldn't see anything obvious. I looked under the car and int he road for any signs of oil or metal, nothing. So I called my dad, luckily he was driving in the same road so he got there 2 minutes later. I opened the oil cap, smelled the oil and it smelt just like fresh oil, not burned. So with the cap off I asked my father to swing the engine. This is were my heart stopped, the cam didnt move, AT ALL!!!.

So the tow truck came and took the car to my house. So I started phoning around to the local service centre's to find the earliest date I could tow the car in. Luckily I found one that had an opening the next day. So I phone Chevrolet break down service, they picked the car up at my house 20 minutes later and I followed them in my other car (2014 BMW 135i E88.) to the service centre.

I signed some documents and then he asked for the mileage. I went to check. 119500KM'S!!!!!! 500km until warranty expires (I must be incredibly lucky). So car's booked in and awaiting the verdict on whats wrong. 19th January, I get a phone call. My worst fears have come true, the cam-belt pulley tensioner had disintegrated.

Weeks went by so I phoned in to see what was happening. According to the service consultant, GM sent engineers in to determine what all had been damaged. Engine Block, Pistons, all 16 valves, cylinder head and cam shaft. So I asked, whats the plan of action, he said we have to wait for their verdict.

A couple of days later I received a phone call. GM approved a new engine to be fitted. FANTASTIC, 14 days for it to arrive from Korea.

26th February, I receive a phone call from the Service Consultant, my car is ready.

Turns out on the cam-belt service at 60000km, the bastards at the other service centre (Williams Hunt Bellville) didnt replace the Pulley Tensioner which is why a complete engine was approved.

I must give credit where credit is due, Andrew from Reeds N1 City (Cape Town) was fantastic, professional and assisted me where ever he could, it was possibly the best experience I've ever had with repairing a car at the agents.

Guys and Gals, please, when you do the cam-belt service, please ask to see your old parts. Avoid what I went through.

Last edited by blade19941; 03-01-2016 at 08:38 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blade19941 For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (04-19-2016)

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      No kidding. AMEN let's see those old parts. Then again it's a win win considering you have a brand new engine! WhooRAH!
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      on the cam-belt service at 60000km
      For those of us in the US, 60,000 km is roughly 37,000 miles.
      I thought the service interval was 60,000 *miles*.
      That would be roughly 96,500 km???

Which is correct??
      Ed

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Well the service interval here is 60000km but on the cars sold after 2012, the interval is 75000km.

I confirmed this earlier with the dealership.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      We bought a 2015 Chevy Sonic . The cam belt service interval for it ( USA ) is 97,500 miles . Do not know about the earlier Aveo & Sonic models .

Hopefully that is several years down the road . But , I am reading up on the job .

God bless
      Wyr

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      my 2005 was 60k miles or 100k kms, i did mine at 200k kms haha

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I've replaced a complete timing belt kit with pulleys & tensioner at 60K KMs according to my 2009 Aveo's manual that I have.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the info on this, you got very lucky with the warranty there. I was wondering about the 60 000km vs 60 000 miles thing - my service manual says 60 000km (2012 Aveo5 Hatch), the car only has 30 000km but it's now at the age threshold (4 years) for the first timing belt replacement.

@blade19941, do you perhaps remember how much you were quoted on your 60 000km timing belt service? Been wondering if I should go ahead because of the age of the belt or if I should leave it till I actually reach 60 000km...