•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Aveo Wont Start,But Everything Else Works On The Car........

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      i am probably not going down until summer. i have a yellow 09 aveo hatch. i have been a mechanic, yes.

Its not that you have to tear into it from the top, you get to it from the bottom of the car. not hard really, but takes some work/tools fishing it out from above the axle, etc.
      I love yellow...my truck was bright yellow. Lucky you! Well I got the car back. The starter was like $259! The labor was only $115! That thing must be gold plated!! It sure has a lot of power now to start...it isnt factory quite thats for sure. Very loud on start up,I am so use to it being VERY quite, but I guess it has to wear in a bit, as long as it lasts, it can make farting noises as I start it up
      Well before I left, I checked he car over, to make sure there were no dents or dings, and started it up to make sure it works, you know...once you leave, if they did something wrong, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Well I got the scare of my life. My A/C didnt work, and smoke started to come up out of the engine!! I shut it off in like 10 seconds. Long story short, they put it back in the shop and in about ten minutes they found out that the shroud around the electric fan was bent, and the blades couldnt move....thats where the smoke was coming from. Turns out that the tow truck driver guy bent the shroud somehow with the front lift that went under the front end. The reason I HATE to have any of my cars/trucks towed behind a tow truck, I prefer a flatbed tow. Well they just 'undented' it, and it started right up of course and the A/C works perfectly. so I ran some errands and it works great and the A/C is fine. so thats over. Fingers crossed. But man, the price for that starter is unreal! THAT is a big mark up. But they have you by the b-lls...so what can you do? Hopefully no problems for at least a year. I have to pay back everyone that paid for this repair!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Did you get back your vehicle from Garage??

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Mckenzie500 View Post
      Did you get back your vehicle from Garage??
      Yes, it is on the second page of replies in this section.

Thanks
      there are three problems in a starter you can fix by hitting it with hammer.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AnouraTheMarsupial View Post
      there are three problems in a starter you can fix by hitting it with hammer.
      Yes if the car was from the 70's. Not anymore. The teeth that made the starter 'catch',and then slide back out of the way, were all worn off and basically gone, so nothing was there to catch and start the starter. It is over, it is replaced, and hitting it with a hammer went out with old Novas and old Fords. There was nothing left to make it work on the inside of the unit, it was all ground down from 5 years of starting.

Thanks
      that makes sense.. this is my first post '67 car. I guess i wont be turning on it with a 10 lb mallet...

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      hitting it with a hammer went out with old Novas and old Fords.
      Not true. Electric starter motors are still built very much like the way they were built in the 70's. The difference is in how the power gets to the motor.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wylee View Post
      Not true. Electric starter motors are still built very much like the way they were built in the 70's. The difference is in how the power gets to the motor.
      It is replaced and over. If you care to somehow crawl under your Aveo each time you want to start it, in the rain, in the middle of summer, in snow, if you have it, at shopping centers, under a hot engine, in work/dress clothes, please feel free. I thanked everyone for the input about my problem, but it is done. I can barely get under there to change the oil. I am not going to crawl under it several times a day and get burned on a hot engine. It is worth the hundreds and hundreds it cost. Now I just want a stupid little $5 turn signal bulb to stop blinking at the speed of light now!

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Now, now, clean the sand out.

I wasn't suggesting not replacing the starter which you had clearly already replaced. I was merely corrected misinformation for future readers. Wacking the starter with a hammer very well may get the car to start one more time and save a towing bill.

As far as the turn signal...clean the socket and use dielectric grease when you put the bulb back in.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Thanks
      where is the starter relay on a 2005 aveo???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12