•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Aveo Wont Start,But Everything Else Works On The Car........

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

My Aveo Wont Start,But Everything Else Works On The Car........

Hi. I JUST found this forum,only took me 6 years. Anyway, my 2006 Aveo hatchback wont start, and is at a garage right now. Yesterday, I turned the key and got 1 click and then nothing. I got it started by just keeping the key turned and it started one last time. I got home, and then it wouldnt even make that clicking noise anymore.

To get to the point, for weeks it was hard to start, then it was back to easy to start, then it was hard to start, then easy again. Last year I had to replace the factory battery, so it is only 1 year old, the battery has been tested 2 times and reads as 'good/full charge',
      but the weird thing is that all the lights work and are bright as usual,the radio works, all the other electrical things like that, the headlights all work, but it wont start at all. It is totally dead. I am waiting to hear from the garage, but I was hoping to get opinions from someone that might know what is going on, maybe this has happened to someone else?

I looked online and found sites that say these conditions indicate that it is the 'starter'. Not the alternator. True?
      Any opinions or ideas would be great to hear. This is the first mechanical thing to go wrong since I bought the car new. The engine has never given me a days trouble, I also only have 19K miles on it, I have had the coolant flushed out, several gaskets replaced, but not the head gasket, they were found to be leaking during an oil change at the Chevy dealer. But it wasn't a 'mechanical' issue.

So...how bad off am I going to be today when I get the call about whats wrong? I would love to be able to ask them if it could be this or that, to make sure they get it right. And it isn't a HUGE problem. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      it could be as simple as a bad starter relay, it could be the starter, or even the ignition switch.

these all act about the same when trying to start the car, the key to diagnosing them s following the electrical flow within the system.

If the key is in the start position, and there is power to the starter, but it dies not crank it is the starter. If no power to the starter then you need to see if the power is at the relay. If the relay has both signal and source power, but is not sending it to the starter, you need a relay. The relay should always have source power, but if there is no signal power then you need to check the ignition switch end of the harness, fuse, or switch itself.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      it could be as simple as a bad starter relay, it could be the starter, or even the ignition switch.

these all act about the same when trying to start the car, the key to diagnosing them s following the electrical flow within the system.

If the key is in the start position, and there is power to the starter, but it dies not crank it is the starter. If no power to the starter then you need to see if the power is at the relay. If the relay has both signal and source power, but is not sending it to the starter, you need a relay. The relay should always have source power, but if there is no signal power then you need to check the ignition switch end of the harness, fuse, or switch itself.
      Hi. Thanks for those ideas...I assume that a good garage will know how to test for these things....right? It isnt a fly by night place, it has been around for decades,and is well respected in the city. Are those things expensive? Or less than a starter? Is the starter a hard to replace part. I have seen the price of a new one or a rebuilt one, and they seem to be fairly cheap,but the price of installation depends on where it is located, if it is hard to get to,or easy....which is it on our Aveos?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      who did you take it to?

the relay is cheapest, the starter and relay really depend on what you pay for the part and the garages labor for diagnose and replace.

Thanks
      who did you take it to?

the relay is cheapest, the starter and relay really depend on what you pay for the part and the garages labor for diagnose and replace.
      Well it is at a garage in Pompano Beach called Sunshine Auto Repair. My new brother in law works there on the weekends, and they have a very good reputation, and I wasnt going to go to the dealer for something like this. The diagnosis alone would be ungodly. So it was towed LATE yesterday to them.
      I took it to them weeks ago to have the battery ,alternator and starter tested, they all read out as 'good', and THAT day it was starting up better and better the more I started it....like going to the doctor when your sick, then you get there and you feel fine! Well everything read as 'good' and all the numbers were well within the ranges they were suppose to be. So they didnt have anything to fix. So then after a few weeks of hard to start and easy to start, it finally died yesterday. So...IF it is the starter itself is it hard to replace, or am I lucky and it is on the bottom of the engine and it wont take 4 hours of labor to take out, IF needed.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      it wont take 4 hours, but i cant say they wont charge that..

sunshine did some work to a vanagon we had years ago, and my cadillac had some work done there, just general maintenance before the drive home. at least i think its the same place, off E Atlantic? They were at least as good as firestone, etc, but better priced.

Thanks
      Hi. Yes! Thats the place. It is on Dixie Hwy, just below Atlantic. Are you a snowbird or did you move away? Well I called them at noon to find out what is going on. They apologized for not calling me, the owner didnt know why someone didn't call me to ok the work! Well it is the starter. It is totally dead. They already ordered it, and should be done today. Well does anyone have $400 to lend me for a few months? I'm good for it. He said it is $391.16 out the door. Then $65 for towing. God, I need a loan.
      I get a 1 year warranty on the part and the labor. Is that good? Is the price good or am I getting taken for a ride? Thats why I wanted to know where the starter is located. So I could say, 'why is it so much for labor when the starter is so easy to get to'. BUT if it is buried under a bunch of other parts and it does take a long time to remove and replace, then I cant say much. Where is it? I would like to see what I am paying for, and not ask them where it is to see it...I want to at least SEEM to know something about my cars engine. So...where is this starter located? Thanks for the help and input. I'll hag around to see if you reply soon.

Thanks to your replies, I did ask about the relay, and the ignition, and they said they checked everything, thats the way to find out whats wrong. So am I getting a 'deal'...or getting taken for a ride? I know the dealer would cost 3 times more. But since the part is like $60-90....the rest is labor. Unless I am seeing prices for re-manufactured parts. They assured me it is new.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the starter is behind the engine under the intake manifold, and above the axle. You pull it out through the bottom with the car in the air. $391 is a fair price. Since almost half of that is probably the price of the starter (retail markup). they list for @ $150-200 so it would have depended on which was the local availability. $60-90 is definitely reman, but that is also wholesale, most shops do not pass that price along, they adjust it to retail.

We have a place we stay at near my family in lighthouse point. I've been going down at least 2 times a year my entire life, when my grandparents bought a place in the mid 70s before i was born.

Thanks
      the starter is behind the engine under the intake manifold, and above the axle. You pull it out through the bottom with the car in the air. $391 is a fair price. Since almost half of that is probably the price of the starter (retail markup). they list for @ $150-200 so it would have depended on which was the local availability. $60-90 is definitely reman, but that is also wholesale, most shops do not pass that price along, they adjust it to retail.

We have a place we stay at near my family in lighthouse point. I've been going down at least 2 times a year my entire life, when my grandparents bought a place in the mid 70s before i was born.

Boy, thought I was getting the 'brother in law discount'...guess it doesnt apply when he is out of the country. but at least I am not getting taken for a ride. The starters I found for 'New' were on EBay, with a year warranty to. Started at $60 and went up tp 95. I forgot about repairshop discounts/markups. Well it is 440pm now, they said my car is about ready, so knowing it is way in the back,it sounds like they have to remove a lot of parts to get to it, so it is a lot of labor. Cant just see it from the top...right? Since I dont know you...which Aveo do you have...I assume yuo have one, or why would you be here and you know so much!!! Are you a mechanic to? Well I have to go get a ride to go pick it up in 20mins. Cant wait to have my little blue car back in my hands. Again, thank you for all the information. Are you coming down anytime soon? Or no? Thanks!!!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i am probably not going down until summer. i have a yellow 09 aveo hatch. i have been a mechanic, yes.

Its not that you have to tear into it from the top, you get to it from the bottom of the car. not hard really, but takes some work/tools fishing it out from above the axle, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast