•  

Thread: mid-timing belt and water pump replacement, cracked inner cover

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

mid-timing belt and water pump replacement, cracked inner cover

Hi Aveo drivers! I've been lurking your forum picking up timing belt tips (thanks!!) since I bought a Canadian Aveo in Denver about 3 weeks ago with 122k miles on it and the original belt. Today I'm attempting my first timing belt and water pump swap. I tried to pull the water pump out without removing the rear plastic cover by just bending it outward as someone said they had done. Of course, the cover cracked, not quite all the way across. Think I should go on installing new water pump and belts or pause the job and order a new cover?
      Thanks again for all the helpful tips you've already given.Name:  15171694380121836889070.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  295.0 KBName:  15171694380121836889070.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  295.0 KB

Last edited by Orville Shredenbacher; 01-28-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Add pics

Thanks
      Mods, I just noticed the forum's specific technical sections. I should have posted this in the engine section. Should I repost it there or wait for it to be moved? Hope you can forgive my new member mistake.
      While I'm here I'll add that I got some epoxy today to repair my cracked inner cover, will give that a try tomorrow, making sure to sand it down nice and flush on the belt side.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      That bottom cover is a damn pain. You almost have to remove the CAM gears just to get off. Yes do replace the water pump and most importantly the seal.

BTW I love your timing cam gear holder, very inventive!
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Don't worry about the split in the rear cover. The same thing happened to me with my '05, which was 70K issue-free miles ago. The colder the ambient temp, the more likely that plastic will break when bending it to slip the WP by.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:

Orville Shredenbacher (01-30-2018)

Thanks
      Thanks xintersecty and avguy. The zip ties to hold the cam gears was a suggestion from this forum! I absolutely did replace the water pump and its gasket, as well as guide and tensioner. Good point avguy about the outside temp, I'm lucky to have at least 40s and 50s F in Jan outside to work in but still not optimal plastic bending temps. I epoxy'd the crack in the inner cover, all new parts installed and crank pulley back on but now gotta bike to work and finish the job tomorrow AM.

Thanks
      yeeeeeeeeeee!! Got her all zipped up this morning and she purred like the cute little kitten that she is. What a relief. That was a solid 2 weeks of serious anxiety from when I decided to do the job myself until just now when she fired up and confirmed that I didn't brick this little car that I've already fallen in love with. Thanks again to everyone on this forum who has posted tips about timing belt jobs. I really couldn't have done it without them. Now, I'm looking forward to 60k of more fun-centric work on this car (Pioneer stereo coming on Friday, already have 250w amp and sub).

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orville Shredenbacher For This Useful Post:

PoisonIvy (02-01-2018),xintersecty (02-02-2018)

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Yeah! You should start a mod thread. For example, for each year I do stuff I make a thread to keep up with my own changes. It serves two purposes: one you have log of your changes, two we get to live through your own experience.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xintersecty For This Useful Post:

Napdan (02-11-2018)

Thanks
      Thanks, good idea^ I've been keeping track of maintenance stuff in a note on my phone but that of course only lasts as long as my phone does.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Orville Shredenbacher For This Useful Post:

Napdan (02-11-2018)