•  
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: manual transmissin filler plug/bolt

Thanks
      One tip I didn't see mentioned, when (re)filling a gear box, it is a good practice to break loose the FILL plug first, then loosen the drain plug. This way if the fill plug is frozen, you won't be left with a dry gearbox with no oil in it. FYI

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have a 2007 (1.6L manual). I'm still not sure if I am seeing the filler and drain bolts. Should I be viewing them from the passenger side or driver side?

Many thanks!

Thanks
      I do see a pan on the bottom with 10 bolts. Should I remove that to drain the old gear oil?

Thank you!

Thanks
      Thank you mujawid for the good explanation of where the filler plug is!!

I have identified that 13mm bolt. However, I see a lot of space above that level in the chamber for more fluid. I had thought that the chamber would need to be filled close to the top. Just wondering if you have an comments.

Thank you again!

Thanks
      You're welcome.The 13 mm bolt is the fill hole.You don't have to fill above it.The service manual says that you have to fill to this level. My car has done only 50,000 Kms and none of the drive train components has been opened & the fluid was up to that level when i first opened it. You do have to remove the pan with the ten bolts. Try loosening them first & remove one or two of them first,the fluid might just drip down. Keep some gasket maker handy just in case. Btw, why are you changing the fluid, how old is your car & how much has it done. Happy to help.

Thanks
      Thank you again!! I am ready to change it...should get to it soon.

I put a lot of miles on the car. I have 191,000 on it; I bought it with something less than 100,000 on it. I would like to get some more time out of it.

Best regards.

Thanks
      Mujawid....I am just getting to the job now, and I discovered that I was looking at the wrong 13mm bolt. The one that I was looking at was a 13mm socket. You had said earlier that it can be removed with a 13mm bit. Excuse my lack of knowledge on this....does bit refer to a hex (allen) wrench? There is a "hex" bolt that is something bigger than 8mm...maybe 13mm....not sure yet.

Many thanks!!

Thanks
      yes the 13mm hex bolt is the one and no there is no allen bolt in that area.

Thanks
      Easier way to put it in is to get a long funnel and to unbolt the shift fork cover, carefully slide to the right and fill from there until it runs out the bottom hole. Took like 5 mins top to fill like that. Had to buy a junkyard trans since my oem one got a hole after my pressure plate grenaded.

Thanks
      I have a 2006 Aveo manual transmission with 230K. It's leaking gear oil, and I can't fork out the money to get a real fix done. In the meantime, I just want to add gear oil to keep it running okay.

I have SCOURED the internet for better diagrams and pictures, but I still cannot determine where the fill plug is. I ended up adding 2 qts of 75w-90 through the hole on top that mujawid says is the "breather" hole. No overflow. Is it possible that it was running without any gear oil??

My concern is that now there's too much in there, but I can't find the fill plug to drain off the extra. I have looked at the left transaxle entering the differential and just can't find a bolt at the 8 o'clock position.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234