•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: manual transmissin filler plug/bolt

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: manual transmissin filler plug/bolt

I have an 04 Aveo. I don't believe theres a drain plug. If I remove the bottom cover to drain it does it require a gasket?

How often should the manual transmission fluid be flushed?

Thank you

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnygogo
      I have an 04 Aveo. I don't believe theres a drain plug. If I remove the bottom cover to drain it does it require a gasket?

How often should the manual transmission fluid be flushed?

Thank you
      According to the owner's and service manual, never. It's recommended to inspect the oil level once in a while.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I know, I'm just wondering if it would be a smart thing to do? I would rather use a gasket over silicone if I do it.

Thanks

You'll never know if its a good or bad thing unless you replace it and have the oil analyzed. Until then you have no idea if its good or bad.

On the other hand, OEMs are pretty good at recommending service for their vehicles. They don't want them to break down after all. So, they tend to be a bit conservative (there are rare exceptions of course). So, you're probably safe there. However, doing so won't hurt anything as long as you don't mess anything up doing the change.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply Daox! For some reason I feel like I have to do it. I just like the challenge and have an urge to do it. I wish there was a drain plug on the 04 ... I'll have a look around but it doesn't look like it does.

I'll keep you guys posted when I attempt.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Johny, what oil are you thinking about putting in there? AMSOil?
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      Johny, what oil are you thinking about putting in there? AMSOil?
      I was going to pick something at the parts store but now that you mention Amsoil, I'll see if they have some. Is that what you use and suggest?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Well, they claim to be the best in synthetics. And they have virtually everything as far as auto lubrication goes. I was putting AMSOil into my engines for the last few oil changes, but it got expensive quick at $7.99 - $8.99 a quart, so I called one of the authorized dealers off of amsoil.com website and talked to them about my options. They said I could become a preferred customer ($20/yr) and get the oil at a dealer price (when you buy a case it's roughly $6.30 - $6.50 a quart)... So I paid only $76 for a case of 12 quarts... instead of $103 that I used to pay at the store. So with the first case it paid off... Plus the oil can run for a LOT longer cleaner without having to change it.

They also have their filters that supposedly can run up to 25k miles (I would only go up to about 15k with their oil and filter, which supposed to be the best filtering out there possible down to 15 microns).

This is the product list of things they suggest for our cars (that's assuming that your aveo is 1st gen, the search results are for 2006 Aveo), but you can go back to their home page and search for your year just to make sure they are the same...

I was thinking changing the manual transmission fluid myself since I'm around 30k... figured since automatics do it about this interval, why not do it myself and change it to synthetic (Amsoil)? Called a dealer to find what they think about that. Their response was "well, you could change it if you want, but you don't have to, it's already synthetic in there"

So I decided to post-pone it for now.

Hope this helps.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

So I am planning on changing my manual transmission this weekend when I do my timing belt and I just wanted kinda a quick recap if anyone could be so kind.

So to drain the transmission I have to unbolt the pan on the bottom of the transmission? If I do that, is there a gasket that needs to be replaced?

To fill the trans up on the top is a black plastic cap covering the fill hole and on top of that you can remove the filler hole bolt to fill faster?

and to check the level it is the bolt near the drive axles? in the picture that was just posted a few up from this one?

Asking all these question cause there really isnt enough information in that online repair guide and I dont want to be left with a car I can not drive.

Thanks in advance.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Guys the pic by KHAN4t is of the transmission breather hole. You can't use this to inspect the transmission fluid but you may use it to fill . To inspect & fill the transmission you need to get under the car. look at the point where the boot of the left axle is attached to the differential .The filler hole is located at 8 o clock position to the boot of the left axle. It can be opened with a 13 mm bit. It has a magnet on the inside that was covered with gunk. Btw, my car is 10 years old manual transmission but has done only 50,000 kms. The transmission oil was red colored and looked good as new. so i did not replace it. About the draining part, looks like you do have to remove the black pan on the bottom, since mine has no visible drain plug, but like i said i did not replace the fluid.

Last edited by mujawid; 12-29-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast