•  

Thread: LXV engine: removing dipstick tube?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

LXV engine: removing dipstick tube?

Long time lurker here finally joined because I couldn?t figure this one out and had to make a post. I am changing out the oil cooler on my 2009 Aveo with the LXV engine because it was leaking, which ultimately led to oil mixing into my coolant and bursting a radiator hose and the radiator itself. Guess I should have checked the coolant a little more often...oops. Anyway, I need to remove the oil dipstick tube to get the exhaust manifold heat shield off and I can?t figure out how. Every resource I find just says ?remove mounting bolt and remove dipstick tube,? so I remove the mounting bolt at the top of the block above the heat shield and tug on the tube with no success. The tube rotates freely and I don?t see any bolts holding it onto the side of the crankcase/oil pan, but no matter how hard I pull it won?t come free. Is there anybody with insight to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wyldwheels View Post
      Long time lurker here finally joined because I couldn?t figure this one out and had to make a post. I am changing out the oil cooler on my 2009 Aveo with the LXV engine because it was leaking, which ultimately led to oil mixing into my coolant and bursting a radiator hose and the radiator itself. Guess I should have checked the coolant a little more often...oops. Anyway, I need to remove the oil dipstick tube to get the exhaust manifold heat shield off and I can?t figure out how. Every resource I find just says ?remove mounting bolt and remove dipstick tube,? so I remove the mounting bolt at the top of the block above the heat shield and tug on the tube with no success. The tube rotates freely and I don?t see any bolts holding it onto the side of the crankcase/oil pan, but no matter how hard I pull it won?t come free. Is there anybody with insight to share?

I have done the same oil cooler replacement on my 2009 Aveo. As I recall, the dipstick tube came out easily without a struggle. However, to avoid having to touch the power steering pump bolts, I hacked the heat shield off, and never bothered to replace the heat shield back on when I completed the oil cooler replacement. Regardless, you shouldn't have any trouble removing the dipstick.

Deano

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deano For This Useful Post:

wyldwheels (07-09-2018)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
      I have done the same oil cooler replacement on my 2009 Aveo. As I recall, the dipstick tube came out easily without a struggle. However, to avoid having to touch the power steering pump bolts, I hacked the heat shield off, and never bothered to replace the heat shield back on when I completed the oil cooler replacement. Regardless, you shouldn't have any trouble removing the dipstick.

Deano
      Does it just slide out then?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wyldwheels View Post
      Does it just slide out then?

Yes, it should just slide out. I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't. There is only a rubber seal where the dipstick tube enters the block. But that seal won't prevent you from removing the dipstick tube, unless something else is going on causing interference. Is the dipstick tube rubbing up against the heat shield? Maybe the heat shield has to be loosened slightly to give you the space you need? My memory isn't the greatest. But I remembered hacking off the heat shield to make my oil cooler repair easier.

Deano

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deano For This Useful Post:

wyldwheels (07-09-2018)