•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight flywheels

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Lightweight flywheels

not sure where the thread went, but I'm sure there was one...

...think I may have changed my mind about these... I just changed the clutch/pressure plate out on my jetta and found my flywheel was cracked... a 9lbs lightweight one was near $80 cheaper than a new OEM one so, reluctantly I sprung for it...

Acceleration is improved across the board. It's no more difficult to launch than before (of course I was running on a 120k mile clutch before, so this may be relative)... only noticable complaint is a slight (very slight) decrease in torque when cruising in fourth and fifth gear. However, 1-3 definitely feel much much quicker. Rpms drop and rise quicker (engine was pretty quick before, too, though... would probably see better results with a heavier reving engine like the 1.6l)

Should understand that there's a big difference between the two motors though. My jetta has a 2.0l 8v putting out roughly 125-130hp and 140lb-ft of torque... The 1.6l might suffer a severe torque shortage with a lightweight flywheel... but after having driven something other than a honda (which are severely lacking in the torque department) with one... I'd be more willing to try one on my aveo.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

I just read an article in HCI magazine about an install of a lightweight flywheel on, lets see, I think it was a 240sx. It sounds like a really good idea if you need to get in there anyway, but it looked like a lot of trouble to tear into there if that's all that needs to be upgraded.

When my clutch wears out, I want to have the mechanic replace everything in there with aftermarket that can reasonably be installed. Flywheel, clutch, short-shift kit...

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      good luck finding anyone who makes this stuff for the aveo...

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist
      good luck finding anyone who makes this stuff for the aveo...
      At least in mass... the machine shop I used to produce the underdrive pullies said they'd be willing to do a lightweight flywheel

Thanks
      really? for how much? do you know if any good machince shop will make one?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Yes really, he said he'd need to get an aveo flywheel in order to look at it, then he can give an estimate. Not every machine shop will be willing to make one, and probably not every machine shop could, but these guys can and are willing, and do good work

Quote Originally Posted by y2daniel1981
      Yes really, he said he'd need to get an aveo flywheel in order to look at it, then he can give an estimate. Not every machine shop will be willing to make one, and probably not every machine shop could, but these guys can and are willing, and do good work
      are they any good in the AT? or just for MT?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I sell clutch kits with a lightweight flywheel, the clutch kits are listed for the F16 and F20 (D16 and D20 as well). The lightweight flywheel works only with the new clutch/presspure plate though.

Thanks
      awesome, how much?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Re: Lightweight flywheels

it is a foolish idea to install a lightweight flywheel... They spell disaster for your car and possibly you!!!! one owner had one put into his car it disintegrated while he was driving tore half his bell housing off the case punctured the hood in 3 places destroyed the radiator and pieces ripped through the passenger cabin like bullets...

The performance gains are not worth the losses.. I seen the damage a lightweight flywheel can do and if you did you would think twice about it.... and to the one who is gonna have a machine shop fabricate you one... you are making a big mistake... if those guys take too much metal off at the wrong area what i described above will happen to you.. the shops that refuse to do it are the smart ones cause of what can happen.... the flywheel is the mating part that takes the most torque and the most stress in combination with alot of heat what sense does it make to weaken its integrity? think about it. good luck to you all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast