•  

Thread: K&N Filter, again

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

K&N Filter, again

I saw the topic of the K&N Filter and read all about Cold Air Intakes, Rams and what not. I was considering a K&N for my 06 and was wondering is there any advantage to the filter other than longevity. Just a replacement panel filter for the stock box, not a cone. I don't want to get too carried away with the car, if I want the power with the four I would just get a Cobalt SS or HHR SS, been kinda thinking about it anyway.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: K&N Filter, again

They claim that the air flow is better... not quite sure if you can get that much more power - you're still keeping all the restrictive tubing in there. The point that you already pointed out - longevity - is the main reason why they're good. You can wash it, oil it, and it's good to go.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Oiled filters have been blamed for MAF issues. If you gave the newer ecotec, don't put the filter in "well oiled".

Thanks

He has an 06, so it's the older engine... And I put mine "very well oiled" (cone K&N), and the only thing that changed was that the exhaust smelled a little different for a short while... I think the red oil just burned off and it was back to normal after that... Old sensors are not MAF, and they're not as sensitive to that kind of stuff...

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

you might get a little increase in mpg overall, and you dont really ever have to replace it again, if your keeping the car that is

Thanks

I think I may give it a go the next time I do a service, may try the K&N Oil Filter as well. I would love to grab a few more MPG out of the air filter and read a review of the Oil Filter, looks promising.

Thanks

I'm staying with my K&N cone... It's not very dusty here in Seattle, so I'm not too worried about cleaning it in the next 10-20k miles... And next time I change oil (should be in the next few weeks) I'm going with the AMSOil "Absolute Efficiency" oil filter... between their oil and that filter (now I have WIX filter, didn't know AMSOil makes filters at that time yet) I can run anywhere between 15k-25k miles between oil changes... I know it's supposed to work, but I don't think I can do it for more than 15k...

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

I have the K&N in the box and it did nothing for fuel economy... It may have helped open up the engine at higher rpm's but I don't use my car that way anyway.Main reason I bought it was so I didn't have to replace it all the time I was driving 750 mi a week for my commute to work so the value of it was worth getting. Another thing is the synthetic oil mobil 1 0w30 change every 9,000-10,000 mi. Worth the cost right there and not having to do it so much. Overall k & n says nothing about mileage boosting just hp difference. You can read there site and you wont see mpg boost.
      '06 Aveo man trans sedan
      Keep a light foot.

Thanks

Yeah, we got lots of dust especially now, with the gress seed harvest and soon wheat. Those combines can really whip it up! Well I will get the panel K&N and see how it goes. If it gives a HP boost will that then translate into less pedal needed resulting in better milage? Don't know, but I run another milage test on it after install and see how it pans out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fleadog
      If it gives a HP boost will that then translate into less pedal needed resulting in better milage?
      Sorry, it wont. I think MetroMPG even did some testing with a K&N filter on his website... lemme find... ah yes here.

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/air-filter-part-1.htm