•  

Thread: Just got my aveo tonight! motor concerns ++++++

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Just got my aveo tonight! motor concerns ++++++

Okay everyone, my name is tony. This is my first thread (yay). I had to purchase a new car today as my geo tracker was rear ended saturday night with my girl and i in the car. Anyways so i bought the 05 aveo. i thought it was an 04 somehow and when i googled 2004 chevy aveo issues i didnt see the failing timing belt. anyways i spoke to the guy i bought it from and he says last year he purchased the gates deluxe kit (includes water pump?) and had all the parts installed. okay first, a bit about the car, its an 04, has 56000 original miles. automatic. no leaks. okayy heres

question number one: is the gates a decent timing belt kit? are the tensioner and idle pulley metal by chance???

question two: when should i replace it again?

question 3: what other little things should i look out for?

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      I never replaced the timing belt kits in either of my Aveos, so I'm not nearly experienced as some on this forum. However, I'll throw my 2 cents in. The Gates kit is very well known, and very popular. I think the pieces are still plastic, but they should be 100x better quality then the junk they put in at the factory. That sounds very promising that the original owner knew to go ahead and replace EVERYTHING all at once. Good sign that is was properly maintained.

Me personally, I'd probably go close to another 60,000 miles. Maybe open it up and inspect it 2/3 of the way there. This really depends on your comfort level on how far you want to take it.

I'm sure there's a 'common issues' thread somewhere on Aveoforum, but it's common for the valve cover gaskets to go. Spark plugs are just cheap copper/nickel, so they need replacing more often then platinum or iridium. Just follow the recommended replacement intervals. Cheap to do, if you do it yourself. It seems like wheel bearings seem to come up here more often then other cars. They're actually solid little cars if maintained.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Owners manual recommends changing the timing belt every 60,000 miles. The Gates kit is excellent; I wouldn't worry about a thing.

Rear wheel bearings tend to go at 100k miles. There is an open recall concerning the DRLs (day time runnning lights) as they can cause a fire if overheated. Another issue is the two piece, plastic thermostat housing. The prior owner may have switched it over to a metal housing. If he did not, I would recommend changing it as it is known to fail/come apart on the highway.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      I never replaced the timing belt kits in either of my Aveos, so I'm not nearly experienced as some on this forum. However, I'll throw my 2 cents in. The Gates kit is very well known, and very popular. I think the pieces are still plastic, but they should be 100x better quality then the junk they put in at the factory. That sounds very promising that the original owner knew to go ahead and replace EVERYTHING all at once. Good sign that is was properly maintained.

Me personally, I'd probably go close to another 60,000 miles. Maybe open it up and inspect it 2/3 of the way there. This really depends on your comfort level on how far you want to take it.

I'm sure there's a 'common issues' thread somewhere on Aveoforum, but it's common for the valve cover gaskets to go. Spark plugs are just cheap copper/nickel, so they need replacing more often then platinum or iridium. Just follow the recommended replacement intervals. Cheap to do, if you do it yourself. It seems like wheel bearings seem to come up here more often then other cars. They're actually solid little cars if maintained.
      Thanks so much poisonivy, that info right there makes me feel much more better. I am going to wait a couple summers and just do the timing job myself again. As far as the bearings go, i hear the same thing about those. Thanks a lot again.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
      Owners manual recommends changing the timing belt every 60,000 miles. The Gates kit is excellent; I wouldn't worry about a thing.

Rear wheel bearings tend to go at 100k miles. There is an open recall concerning the DRLs (day time runnning lights) as they can cause a fire if overheated. Another issue is the two piece, plastic thermostat housing. The prior owner may have switched it over to a metal housing. If he did not, I would recommend changing it as it is known to fail/come apart on the highway.
      Thanks alot slayerized. Yeah i will be looking at the thermostat asap. Is there any recommended brand thermostat housing you'd recommend from rock auto or like oreileys?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I never had a problem with STANT thermostats
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Looks like the thermostat was changed out, it still looks like two pieces, but its metal now. Which brand coil should i get from rock auto? Also, theres oil on top of my head, does that probably mean the valve gasket needs replacing, i dont see anywhere else the oil is coming from, it only has 60x miles and is well maintained. Also, it has a code p0300. Occasionally misfires with both motor and trans lights flashing.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tony_aveo05 View Post
      ... Also, it has a code p0300. Occasionally misfires with both motor and trans lights flashing.
      Flashing CEL is definitely not good, and should be fixed asap. Spark plugs are the first suspect, and also plug wires commonly rot if they are in contact with oil (in the plug wells), so they probably need to be replaced as well.