•  

Thread: Installed new lifters its ticking

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Installed new lifters its ticking

Just bought the car 3 days ago. Ran seafoam in it and about 5 minutes later the lifters started ticking like crazy and was really loud. Drove the car half a mile and changed the oil, still crazy loud. Try a bottle of valve medic for $1.99 and 20 minutes later the noise is almost gone. Ordered 16 new lifters anyway. Lifter noise went away 95% after 2 days. Today, day 3, installed new lifters along with a new timing belt, front main seal, cam shaft seals, spark plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, timing belt tensioner and idler pulley, water pump, surpentine belt and its tentioner pulley. Car starts up fine but has a lifter ticking noise. I can't hear it while driving at all even with the windows down and I can't hear its at a stop light in traffic. I can't hear it inside the car if the windows are up. But I can hear it when standing next to the car and it speeds up with the engine. Have only driven the car 15 miles with the new lifters, I let it idle for 25 minutes before driving it the first time with the new lifters. How long should this last? Kind of annoying since the old ones were quieter than these right before I changed them.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i wouldn't have used the seafoam.

they are hydraulic, aren't they? did you pour oil over them to "prime" them before starting the car and letting it idle? idle does not have optimal oil pressure in the top end, it has enough, but not great.

Thanks
      Ok so the lifters came coated in oil in a bag in packs of 4 from the dealer, probably to prevent rust. I had them soaking in 5w30 while I was tearing the engine apart, maybe soaked for 3 hours. On a side note I just restarted the car after letting it sit for an hour and it was much quieter and if I rose the rpms to 2k the noise seamed to go away, can't quite tell, and I can't hear the noise above 3k rpm anyway because the engine itself is louder. Oh and thanks to the poster who posted the radio security codes. The reason I just restarted the car was to try the list of security codes as I disconnected the battery after the work today and of course code? was flashing and no card with a code to be found. So I searched hear and the first code on the long list of codes worked!

Thanks
      Oh and I have used seafoam for 10 years with good benefits every time except this time. Now I am not sure I will want to use it in the oil again unless its already making noise. I always use a 3rd of the can in the oil, gas and intake. Always seams to make the car run better.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      I find the lifters make a little bit of noise in this car, since new. You can hear it really well when the hood is up, but not when it's down. I wouldn't worry about it.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks
      Ok well its been a few days and 125 miles and its still ticking but its much quieter. It mostly makes the noise once the car is completely warmed up, guessing because the oil is thinned out. There have been a few times were I could not get it to make the noise at all even when completely warmed up, not sure why it is completely quiet at times.

Thanks
      Noise is almost completely gone now all the time even when completely warmed up.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      sounds like they are seating then, or wearing away the noise issue.. or your going deaf.