•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to replace the clutch and release bearing on a 2006

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

How to replace the clutch and release bearing on a 2006

Like the title says I need a diy on how to do this and I cannot find GOOD info on this. I have done VW/Audi work before but this happens to be my wifes car and I'm not selling 750.00 to do a clutch. I just want a concise DIY as I have the tools and shop and must be able to do it in a day

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      its the same concept as a vw, splitting the engine and transmission. replace the clutch components, put it back together.

a step by step diy would be tedious to write.. but dropping the three mounts and k frame and unbolting the axles to lower the assembly a foot down to the ground would give you the room to pull the engine and tranny apart.

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      I took the transmission appart so many times its not even funny, if im not mistaken, i did it about 7 or 8 times, needless to say i can replace the clutch and anything thats in that section in under 2 hours lol.

I just leave the engine in and support it and only take the transmission mount off, then drop the transmission to the ground.

Taking it appart is easy, getting it back together is a little tricky but its definitaly doable without dropping the entire engine.
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i wasnt sure how experienced he was to start cutting corners from cut corners.. i think i read in a manual one time that the "recommend" pulling the engine and tranny.. so just dropping it below the frame rails is a short cut already. but you can definitely just drop one side. a little tighter, but doable.

Thanks
      I've done probably 10 on VW/Audis so I have done this sort of thing before. Just looking for any do's and don'ts

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if you've done that many i don't think you will have any issues, just the addition of the mechanical shift linkage needing disconnected, and that it is a hydraulic clutch.. which is like a vw as well depending on model year..

you might also decide to pull an axle, they pull out.. so you might need fluid if it spills out.

take note of how you take the clutch, bearing, etc apart as the new ones might not be marked.

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      Im actually doing this now, good thing i saw this in time, ill snap some pics

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist View Post
      Im actually doing this now, good thing i saw this in time, ill snap some pics
      Thanks, pictures would be great

Thanks
      I'm just diving in to an '06 tonight too. I removed the shifter ass'y from the top of the trans just four bolts and the hard to get at bolt under the big cooling hose is a lot easier. I've only removed the drivers balljoint and drive shaft hoping the right one will pop out as the trans is pulled. Does the starter have to come out?

Thanks
      piece of cake -I removed both calipers and hung then by a small wire, removed both ball joints from control arm so the strut could swing, removed the drive shafts, removed left side mount completely, disconnected all wires (nice that they are plugs eh), pin for shifter comes out easily but I actually removed the complete top loader assembly (4x11mm bolts) and stuffed a rag in the trans to keep shat out, put a jack under trans and cherry picker chained to engine hook, removed all engine to trans bolts and gently lowered engine and trans down so left side was easily clear of frame, a large soft blow hammer persuaded the trans to seperate from the engine and the rest is history. I ordered the new Sachs kit online (ebay.com sites wont ship to CANADA eh so I ordered from a known site up in Toronto for $139 -I can live with that -free shipping to boot! Also ordered fresh air intake kit and some lights. Cant wait to wrap this puppy up and start driving it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast