•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! No injector pulse after valve job and timing belt!! Need car back!!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

HELP!! No injector pulse after valve job and timing belt!! Need car back!!

Hello all! This is my first post. I hope I don't sound rude with starting off with a problem.

So here is my situation, my 2005 Summer Yellow Aveo5, was due for its timing belt in 3,000 miles. I had an appointment at the dealer to get the belt replaced, when out of no where it broke. End result was all the valves bent, dealer said the car needed a new engine.

After the belt broke the car sat for about 8 months. Before the belt broke it was in mint condition and ran perfect. We never missed one service. The car still looks and smells like it did the day we bought it off the Chevy dealer.

So I saved my pennies and and bought all the parts and sent it to a independent mechanic I trust. He just got done replacing the head, timing belt, idler pulley, tensioner, and water pump. He put the whole car back together and started it up. He said it ran perfect for 2 minutes, then shut off like someone turned the key. It would not restart. He replaced the crank sensor and it started up ran for 2 minutes and died again. He ordered a cam sensor and will be changing that tomorrow. However I need a car and he is running out of ideas.

He has told me car does not have any injector pulse. So does anyone have any ideas? I really need some help. I want to avoid paying the dealer to tell me what is wrong as I don't have the extra money to tow it and pay the hundred something an hour to look at it.

Thanks in advance!!
      -Chris

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      this could be a lot of things, whether from sitting, being broken down, or put together..

why does it run for two minutes? is there a cel?

injectors pulse with fuel pressure, if it idles for "about" 2 minutes, its probably running off the pressure from the fuel pump priming, and then runs out of pressure as the fuel pump does not continue to run. this could be oil pressure (since the engine sat), the relay, or some other sensor.

if he can check to see if pressure is lost in the rail, that would verify it, most other cause for pulse issues (sensors, spark signal, etc) would through a code.

Thanks
      I dont know if there is a CEL. I am not at the car, I am just going off what he said over the phone. I was just wondering if there is something common that might cause this problem. I have been reading about CKP sensor relearn, but it seems even with that the car runs and drives, just throws a CEL. Could the ECM have died? Is that a common problem? It just seems so odd that everything was perfect. Now the damaged stuff is repaired, and it has some other problem.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if there is a cel it will point him to the problem, if there is no light, he needs to check fuel rail pressure for drops.
      if that checks out (need multiple tests), we can discuss potential ecu or other issues, but dont get ahead of yourself.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      if there is a cel it will point him to the problem, if there is no light, he needs to check fuel rail pressure for drops.
      if that checks out (need multiple tests), we can discuss potential ecu or other issues, but dont get ahead of yourself.

No CEL. It has fuel pressure at the rail. It just is not getting injector pulse to tell the injectors to open.

The crank and cam sensor have been changed. Do you think it could be the ECU?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      after a timing belt ad valve job, i would check to see if the oil pressure sensor is hooked up, working, and determine if it is cutting fuel. do your mechanic check running pressure?

Thanks
      Good Advice. I just read in another thread about the oil pressure sensor. I called him and told him to check that out. Also I have located a used ECU that a friends shop has, I can borrow it to see if it fixes my problem. If it does I can buy it from them.

As for running pressure, the car will not currently start unless starting fluid is sprayed.

From all I have read, I think its likely either the oil pressure sensor or ECU.

Thanks
      I just wanted to close this thread out with what the problem was. So many threads I searched on the net didn't have the solution. My mechanic called me today and told me it ended up being a bad coolant temp sensor. Now the car runs perfect.

I will see, I get to pick it up tomorrow.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Geez, it never occured to me. My car wouldn't start two winters ago and the problem was the coolant sensor. It never crossed my mind when I was reading the thread a few days ago. Sorry.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog View Post
      Geez, it never occured to me. My car wouldn't start two winters ago and the problem was the coolant sensor. It never crossed my mind when I was reading the thread a few days ago. Sorry.
      I facepalmed...

This should be a sticky!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast