•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head bolt torque and sequence

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Head bolt torque and sequence

aNYONE HAVE A WRITE UP OR KNOW THE TORQUE SPECS? THANKS.

**Edit sry for caps lock

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      According to my manual the removal and the replacement sequence are different. Removal (looking from the cam sprockets )
      headbolt 1-3-9-5-7 are on the left and 2-4-10-9-8 are on the right. Remove in that progression.
      Instillation 9-5-1-3-7 are on the left and 10-6-2-4-8 are on the right tighten in that order.
      Tighten to 25Nm or 18 ft/lb. and retighten the cyl hd blt 70 deg plus 70 deg plus 50 deg using the angular torque guage KM-470-B.
      Hope this helps. Might help to make a sketch and label the 5 headbolts on each side.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Follow this link...
      i would like torque specs on head bolts and cam shaft ... - JustAnswer
      Shows proper order and torque

Thanks
      Go to AutoZone website and create an account. The info for Chevy Aveo is pretty good, was my primary source, when doing an engine swap. They have free online manuals for many cars.

Will have a pic for head bolt removal/ installation as well as torque/ angle specs

2005 best in class
      Thanks
      I believe its different for diff years so be careful if you do it wrong you'll destroy the heads. You MUST use new head bolts for this procedure!!!Get the shop manual for your year and you won't go wrong plus you'll have tons of info for other issues.....

Thanks
      The GM torque guidelines are as follows for the 05 aveo. 18 foot pounds then 60 degrees then sixty degrees then sixty degrees then at last 10 degrees. I have seen all over the place missing that last 60 degrees. Its not a lot and maybe it will never give you issues. But this is from the GM specks at the dealership.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by nova321fl View Post
      The GM torque guidelines are as follows for the 05 aveo. 18 foot pounds then 60 degrees then sixty degrees then sixty degrees then at last 10 degrees. I have seen all over the place missing that last 60 degrees. Its not a lot and maybe it will never give you issues. But this is from the GM specks at the dealership.
      Does someone mind explaining the 60 degrees + 60 degrees + 10 degrees procedure?

So I tighten the bolts to 18 foot pounds each, in the sequence order provided. BUT then I make 60 degree turns on each bolt afterwards? or is it you turn each bolt 60 degrees at a time? I am a bit confused by this.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      You need a torque angle gauge - my local autozone sells them for about 10 bucks.

Great Neck Torque angle meter 25424- Read6Reviews onGreat Neck #25424

As mentioned, only use brand spanking new bolts - these are considered "torque to yield", and can NOT be reused safely.

Following the torque sequence, tighten all bolts to 18 ft lb - now put the torque wrench away (using it to do the next steps can actually damage the wrench)

Using your angle gauge and a breaker bar, and again following the torque sequence, turn all bolts an additional 60 degrees of rotation.

Do that step again, turning each bolt an additional 60 degrees of rotation.

Do that step again, turning each bolt an additional 60 degrees of rotation.

Do that step again, but this time only turn each bolt a additional 10 degrees of rotation.

The purpose of stepping through in so many little steps is to prevent over-stretching the bolts unevenly - bolts actually hold in tension by slight stretching, the torque to yield design stretches them ALMOST to the point of breaking; providing maximum clamping force.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Has anybody used head studs? or do they even make them?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      If I were going to stud an engine, I would be looking at ARP exclusively - and they only make a kit for the Ecotec 2.2 engine. You might be able to find studs that are the right length and make it work, but would be more trouble and expense than it's worth, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast