•  

Thread: Hard Idling, surging, and stalling

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Angry Hard Idling, surging, and stalling

I purchased my 2008 Chevy Aveo a year ago. It had about 46,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I know from reading a lot of articles they timing belt is prone to go on this car. So at a little after 61,000 miles I decided to change the timing belt. My sisters Boyfriend who is a mechanic helped out with it. We ended up installing a Dayco Waterpump kit. Which included the timing belt, water pump, tensioner. While we had it apart we also replaced the serpentine belt.

After the install everything seemed to be fine. I drove it three hours home the next day. It sat from sunday night till wednesday. When I started it up I noticed a weird feeling in the car. Like it wanted to go while in park. Almost a revving feeling. I let it run for a little bit and the check engine light came on (P0300). Took it to the shop to get have a crank shaft relearn done to the engine. Which didn't fix the problem. Took it to my relatives house and got it far enough apart to see I was off a tooth on my timing marks.

My sisters boyfriend came and helped me reset the timing belt, and put it all back together but still the same problem. We did notice that the two peeks on the new Dayco tensioner, don't seem to stay together when its running and move slightly.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      The 3 WP allen bolts are not tight enough. There is sideways pressure from the belt, which can be misleading if tightening them by hand. Torque them to 89 Inch lbs using a torque wrench after verfiying that the pointers line up. Best to do this before starting it up again, because the next time it may decide to jump more than 1 tooth.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      The 3 WP allen bolts are not tight enough. There is sideways pressure from the belt, which can be misleading if tightening them by hand. Torque them to 89 Inch lbs using a torque wrench after verfiying that the pointers line up. Best to do this before starting it up again, because the next time it may decide to jump more than 1 tooth.

i agree with this, allowed my students to do a timing belt job, and ended up rebuilding the head. twice.

Thanks
      Okay, I will try that

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I m sorry I am asking this that late. Finally you got your car fixed? Tightening the 3 bolts holding the WP fixed the issue?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jep23ing View Post
      I m sorry I am asking this that late. Finally you got your car fixed? Tightening the 3 bolts holding the WP fixed the issue?
      Sounds like you're not too familiar with the way things go with these forums. You recently posted a very good description of the outcome to your recent WP issue, which was nice to see. And from that I assume that's the type of person you are. Unfortunately, you're in the minority, and it's actually unusual to see a follow up by the op to the problem or question he posted. In fact it's fairly common to see no reply whatsoever by the op. That's the great thing about the web - someone can ask a question, and then turn around and walk away while another person is giving a reply. That's the way it goes with most of the forums, although some are better than others. So it would be REALLY unusual to get a reply from an op to a question like you're asking. Only mentioning this to save you from wasting a bunch of your time by asking questions and then looking for answers that rarely (if ever) show up. Just the way it is.