•  
    Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: etec-II underdrive pulley development

Thanks

etec-II underdrive pulley development

NOTE: the official group buy thread for this pulley is here:
      E-TEC II underdrive pulley group buy - Chevrolet Aveo forum and owners club - AveoForum.com
      Post in that thread if you're interested in one.

---

I'm starting a new thread on this to separate it from other discussion that had been going on. I know there is a lightweight pulley available from Xaiogary, but the price is a bit high and I think we can do better if we do a group buy on the board here.

Anyway, I have actually been thinking about this for a while. An underdrive crankshaft pulley is a very simple mod that is usually pretty low cost. It works not only by being lighter in weight than the original pulley (less rotational mass like a lightweight flywheel), but also by being smaller in diameter. This in turn spins your accessories slower which frees up some horsepower as well.

I'd love to get input and know if people are interested. If all goes well we can put together a group buy. The more people we get the cheaper the parts get, thats the way things work. So, let me know if you are interested.

People interested:
      Daox
      reddemonx92
      serega12
      one_man_jam
      thehunterooo
      xintersecty
      AveoSS

theclarkfam???
      petrified.rabbit???
      bdc87???

I'm also still interested in knowing how the ecotec pulley compares to the etec. If anyone could even get a picture of the ecotec pulley we could probably know right there if it won't work.

So, I have modeled up the stock pulley at this point. I figured I'd share some pretty pictures with you guys (we all like pics after all).

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Re: etec underdrive pulley development

I wouldnt mind buying it if it was reasonably priced and increased hp even if its just a few.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I have heard about this long before I was looking at the aveo and it intrigued me then and I was hoping to see something about it for these cars.
      Here are a couple things that I found on the underdrive pulley. there is a lot of information out there about this subject below is a few links to other forums.
      The questions that I have is what size pulley will be needed to make it work, what would the cost be and would all the accessories still work correctly at the lower RPM's?

http://www.aeriostyle.com/forum/viewtop ... 8&start=45
      http://clubaleno.21.forumer.com/a/j18-u ... ost66.html
      2009 Chevy Aveo LT1 Silver
      2008 Saturn Outlook XE Silver W/Preferred & tow package

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theclarkfam
      The questions that I have is what size pulley will be needed to make it work, what would the cost be and would all the accessories still work correctly at the lower RPM's?
      I'd be happy to answer your questions theclarkfam.

I am unsure of the pulley that will be needed. I have simply redrawn the stock pulley at this point. From there, I'll modify it.

The cost is completely dependant on how many people are interested. The more people, the lower the cost. I will be submitting my drawing for quotes to a few different shops to get a good price of course.

I mentioned this in the other thread I had linked, but the accessories (besides the alternator) won't really make any difference operating at a lower rpm. If you time it, your A/C probably won't get cold quite as fast (we're talking a few seconds), and you won't have as much power steering assist. From my experience using underdrive pulleys on different cars, you'll never even notice the difference. I surely didn't, but could notice the extra power. Its not a ton, but its noticable. Similar to a cold air intake I'dsay. The one thing we do need to look out for is the alternator. If we spin it too slow, it won't be able to produce enough voltage to charge the battery at idle. This would be bad. So, this will be part of the design process to ensure that this does not happen. On other vehicles, you can easily underdrive the crankshaft by 15-20% without any problems. We just have to see how much overhead there is in the Aveo to play around. This will be very easy to do considering I have my alternator out of the car right now, I can simply do some bench testing to see at what rpm the voltage starts to fall. From there, I can size the pulley accordingly.

I will be going through the whole design process on the board. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Thanks for answering that and I can't wait to see the finished product.
      2009 Chevy Aveo LT1 Silver
      2008 Saturn Outlook XE Silver W/Preferred & tow package

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

So, Daox, just to paraphrase what you said, you're trying to design a pulley that will still allow the alternator to give us enough voltage/amperage (whatever else is needed) to charge our battery at the lowest RPM possible while still giving us enough power gain to be noticeable. If that's correct, and the price is reasonable, I would be interested in one. Could you post up some quotes when you receive them to see what we're looking at? I'm sure having a price in here would make it easier for people to see if it's something they're willing to invest in.

By the way, good idea with a group buy.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. I have most everything done besides sizing the pulley to the alternator. I do have a rough idea of what it'll be, but I want to test it out before finalizing anything.

I will definitely post the quotes when I get them back. But, I need a final drawing before I request them. If we only have 4 people interested its gonna be expensive unfortunately.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

count me in. any improvement, even subtle, sounds like a worthwhile upgrade
      ULTRA RACING canada goodies available here ://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i just went through looking at pictures of the ecotec versus the etecII, im 99% sure its different, especially in design it appears to have a rubber dampening ring?(just from looking at pictures online not looking at mine) that last 1% is the different design does not mean not interchangeable.. because the mounting point / offset etc might be the same.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Everyone has a different idea of expensive... if it was under 100 - I'm sure many people wouldn't mind getting 3-4 HP at that price (if that's what we're looking at as far as power gain and price range).. if its 250$+ for a 1-2 HP not many people (including myself) will find it worth the money. could you post at least some rough numbers, or PM me?

Thanks ahead.

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast