•  
    Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Top End

Thanks
      FWIW: I pulled everything off as one unit more or less. I think I may have even pulled it with the exhaust still on it. I did this as it was a bit easier doing the tear down/assembly on the bench, and reassembly.

If you are handy, I would suggest doing your own tear down. I was able to use my motorcycle valve spring compressor ($30 on ebay) and used lapping compound to seat the new valves. You may only need to do the ones that are bent. Also you may want to do a lifter pump test on the bench as when they smack valves they tend to be noisy on cold startup, not a big issue, just make sure they are not bound up and no longer pump oil, I had a few that were locked up for some reason, and wound up replacing ALL the exhaust lifters.

Since everything will be apart, now is a great time to clean the TB and injectors while it is all apart. At the end of the day it's not that bad a job. I also used an inch torque wrench and an angle gauge to follow the funky torque specs. I used the bolt pattern numbers to keep track of how many 'laps' I made with the wrench, and marked off the three stages of torque for each bolt. This was the most odd thing about the job for me was using a torque angle setup, and keeping track of how tight the bolts were and NOT messing up the order. It was easy once I had a system down.

So I am curious, how did the belt just 'slip off' like that? Broken pulley?

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 06T200 View Post
      FWIW: I pulled everything off as one unit more or less. I think I may have even pulled it with the exhaust still on it. I did this as it was a bit easier doing the tear down/assembly on the bench, and reassembly.
      Your post is gold. There is five bolts I can't "f'ng" get to on the intake header. Since I have about just about most everything gone to remove the head, by golly that's what I am going to do. My big shop manual disappeared and hopefully I will find my 5" inch bible before I assemble back onto the block.

I don't have an angle gauge. I guess I will need to get an inch torque wrench and buy an angle gauge. I have one that is huge and in pounds.
      Last edited by xintersecty; 07-08-2015 at 02:09 AM.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      ya THOSE bolts were buried deep, even the temp sensor wire is hidden down in there, I made sure to connect that one before I set it on the block. Try to have a helper and it should all drop in , minus the TB as it hits.

You are super close, just do the top stuff, looks like you got the two bolts on the intake, just hoses, connectors, I yanked the fuel rail with it, just be careful with the small plastic clip removing, no funky tools needed.

Not sure if the inch pound wrench is needed, but I get anal with the water pump bolts and most all the small cam cap bolts, etc.

Thanks
      FWIW: the GM tis for 06 instructs to pull everything, rail and all, then do a full bench service. But tweak as needed for your tool selection and what works for you.

Thanks
      This is EGR piping.

Thanks
      The EGR tube can be left in place. Another tip is to make sure the EGR is all bolted up to the side of the head before dropping it in, as one of the bolts is a PITA to get to without a swivel 12mm socket.

Thanks
      Guys, thank you very much for your help. Hopefully I get some time tomorrow and work on it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      Guys, thank you very much for your help. Hopefully I get some time tomorrow and work on it.
      I have been trying to follow this thread , but much of it is over my head .

When you get the head off , please post photos of the combustion chamber , valves & tops of the pistons .

If the pistons are dinged , how bad do they have to be dinged , before you have to replace them ?

What caused the belt to mess up ?

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      I have not had time to work on my car. I had to drive and see my out of town GF. I am really good about documenting everything and putting up pictures. Work has been going like gangbusters and I am trapped here. So hopefully I get home at a decent hour and get some work done.

As to some of the other questions; I don't know the answers. Once I have everything apart then I can start answering questions.

Much to my embarrassment there is a thread here that says why: http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f81/kinda-lucky-19642/

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hey guys, been doin the same job. I have mine apart, just ordered valve guides and seals and will order the valves shortly (I'm slow).I plan to take the head into a machineshop to install some of the guides. Don't know how far you are on yours but I wasn't expecting cracked guides (you should take a look at yours). I joined about a month ago looking for a post such as this and I'm glad I signed in today to see this. My problem is I'm still looking for a manual for tourqe specs. I tried downloading some stuff here and caught a virus lol. Also can you reuse the metal head gaskets that came with it?, Are the shims or gaskets? kinda confusing when I look up the parts to order on RockAuto - They sell a gasket but they also sell shims, when I took mine apart it had two metal gaskets or are these shims? probably gonna ask more questions as this goes on.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast