•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine light not working!!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Correct.. i just tried 5 mins ago i turned the key to the on position and the light did not come on to do the self check, But this morning when i started to go to work it came on the shut off like normal..

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      if i was to guess, i would say it might be your temp sensor. but it is just as likely an over heating in the circuit board?

now i also have my emissions, are you sure the light has to come on during the test? or the tech just needs to see it illuminated to know it works? if so i would drop it off the night before and explain to them what is going on, as long as the tech can say the light came on and is "operational" then you can hit yes on the computer prompt to start the test. I only know PA though.

Thanks
      I might just go there like a couple hours earlier to let it cool down and see if they can just see that the light works and hopefully they understand.. thanks everyone.. if you guys think of anything else or come across anything that would help me out further let me know..

Thanks
      Just wondering the same thing... (engine light not ever coming on) I have a 2005 LS Hatchback and recently I have had sputtering and cold start issues and I noticed that I CAN'T make the engine light come on at all even when just starting the car. Now... normally that would be a good thing, but with a current starting issue I'd think it would show up something. Back when I got the car the engine light would come on all the time due to the factory defective gas caps they had... once that was fixed I've never seen the light come back on in 7+ years. I've recently had codes checked and they were evap related and overheating related. I recently replaced a bad thermostat and the purge valve solenoid. I've also recently put new plugs and wires on and cleaned the throttle body. Anyway... something that the DEALERSHIP could not tell me is if that light is supposed to come on when starting the car or not. I just had my codes cleared this morning after finally figuring out that my 2 month old plugs were pretty rusty looking.... and cleaning them good it started right up. I'm going to unplug the battery for awhile also and try to get the computer to reset also. FWIW the car seems to be running rich and my MPG isn't as good as it should be however it is winter gas time so that may have something to do with my MPG also. My main question specifically for this thread is does the engine light come on for a 2005 LS upon startup or not? I'll post my overall issues in another new thread.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bub2010 View Post
      My main question specifically for this thread is does the engine light come on for a 2005 LS upon startup or not? I'll post my overall issues in another new thread.
      It should come on when you turn the ignition to "On."
      Do any of the other lights (oil, electrical, etc.) come on if you turn the ignition on but don't crank it? They should come on briefly if you crank it or not, but I don't always notice if I'm not looking for them. Is the 2005 like the 2004 with the CEL by the clock?

Thanks
      The engine light best I recall is indeed around the clock area. I have not seen it on in forever....and no....I don't see it come on when cranking the key forward or trying to start it.

Thanks
      Hey man hows it going did you ever figure this out?

Thanks, Jason

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      On my 2008 Aveo, my MIL light quit illuminating like it was supposed to light up when I first turned on the key.

I took the clock out and took the back cover off, then removed the screws that hold the board in the clock housing.

What I discovered was 2 resistors(red blue red gold 2.6K) right above the connector, made the circuit board dark brown, indicating they get hot. I saw very little solder around the resistor wires so I re-soldered those 2 resistors, put everything back together and the MIL/CEL light worked well for a year.

My auxiliary display (clock MIL) has been discontinued and now it (MIL part) quit working again. I got a clock from a 2007 Aveo (no cruise control--Cruise control clock is different) and it worked for a while. Now I have to figure out what is wrong again. I re-soldered the 2 resistors but that didn't fix the problem.

It was easy for me to solder the 2 resistors so look at that option.

There is a detailed re-solder thread on this forum so look for it.
      Last edited by OG-Lou; 03-04-2020 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks
      This is my problem BIG TIME! I can't pass the Ohio e-check because my CEL never comes on, not even at start.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Just replace the display with one from a junk yard or eBay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast