•  
    Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Ecotec LSJ for Aveo (supercharged 2.0L engine swap)

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Starting the upgrade the first problem that I had was that I did not have the proper tool to remove the screw from the GM pulley. They are make of soft aluminum so i was able to drill the heads out and remove the pulley not bit deal. As for removing the old hub, do not go out and spend a-lot of money on a puller, I improvised and used an steering wheel puller to get the job don take a look at the pics below, pretty slick if I do say myself.

Name:  IMG_1365.jpg
Views: 2457
Size:  277.8 KBName:  IMG_1379.jpg
Views: 2622
Size:  289.5 KB

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Really curious as to how this panned out? Getting ready to do the swap myself and have many questions.

Why is my car so slow?
      Thanks
      I picked up a 2006 chevy cobalt ss for 900 bucks and I am planning on doing this swap. The cobalt currently runs and drives very well, but is rusted badly. I'd love to get some more insight on how to do this swap, mainly with engine management (converting to stand alone). Also the modified suspension... any help would be appreciated! Thanks. Rob.
      '04 5spd hatchback (Junior)
      '05 5spd hatchback (Veteran) totaled by a Dodge Neon

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BlueBird94 View Post
      I picked up a 2006 chevy cobalt ss for 900 bucks and I am planning on doing this swap. The cobalt currently runs and drives very well, but is rusted badly. I'd love to get some more insight on how to do this swap, mainly with engine management (converting to stand alone). Also the modified suspension... any help would be appreciated! Thanks. Rob.
      If you go through all that work - upgrade to LSJ-t.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Well if you read some of the post that I left, there is a-lot of custom fabrication the will need to be performed to make this swap work. All of the work was done by myself, I think you will have a hard time finding someone that will be able to do the work locally. I also did the stand-alone conversion, I used HP-Tuners to program out all of the BSM and VAT stuff out. The suspension was also custom work done by me. I can provide you the some part numbers of parts that I used to make the steering work, you will need to change in inner tie-rods if you are going to use the Cobalt knuckle.

Best Regards,

Oscar Rivera

Why is my car so slow?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thehotrodguy View Post
      Well if you read some of the post that I left, there is a-lot of custom fabrication the will need to be performed to make this swap work. All of the work was done by myself, I think you will have a hard time finding someone that will be able to do the work locally. I also did the stand-alone conversion, I used HP-Tuners to program out all of the BSM and VAT stuff out. The suspension was also custom work done by me. I can provide you the some part numbers of parts that I used to make the steering work, you will need to change in inner tie-rods if you are going to use the Cobalt knuckle.

Best Regards,

Oscar Rivera
      I will be able to do the fabrication/welding/mechanical work. I have done complete frame-off restorations by myself, so that type of work doesn't bother me. The conversion to stand alone is my main hang up, as I don't have too much experience with tuning. I sent you a PM, a few days ago, I'd love to talk with you more that way so we don't clog up this thread.

Thanks

Rob
      '04 5spd hatchback (Junior)
      '05 5spd hatchback (Veteran) totaled by a Dodge Neon

Thanks
      You should start your own thread. We'd love to follow your progress.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Best Regards,

Oscar Rivera
      Your build is beyond awesome BTW!!!
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Aveo SS
      Thanks
      Out of what Hyundai did you get the tie rods from?
      In the attached pics you can see the finished suspension, the spindles are from a 2006 cobalt and so are the struts. The struts have been modified with a Ground Control coil over kit and the A-arms have been modified to accept a cobalt ball joint to allow me to mount the spindles. After I mounted the spindles I found that the Aveo tie rod ends would not work and I had to use tie rods from a Cobalt. This created another problem, not only are the Cobalt tie rods two inches too short the thread size is different 14MM for the Aveo and 16MM for the Cobalt. So after some resource I found that as set from a 96 Hyundai would work perfectly. This setup allowed me to use axles from a Suzukit

Attachment 3605Attachment 3606

This setup will allowed me to use axle shafts from a Suzuki Forenza, I will be running this setup with the current 2.0 turbo setup that I have. This is all in preparation for the LSJ install, the hub splines are different between the Avoe and the cobalt. The spline for the Cobalt and the Forenza are the same so this setup will allow me to run the Suzuki shafts now and later the shafts from the Cobalt. As for the the brakes I will be running the Wilwood's that I had previously installed I just have to fab up a custom bracket before I can get the brakes back on. I will be upgrading to the Brembo’s latter on as the project progresses, this will require 17 inch rims.

Attachment 3604Attachment 3603

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      This was for the inner tie rods, it was from a Hyundai excel years 1990 to 1994. The MOOG part number is EV223, as for the outer tie rod I used the cobalt OEM rod with the cobalt spindle and I had to modify the factory lower control arm. I modified the A arm to be able to accept the cobalt OEM ball joint.

Regards

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast