brian5475e:
"Who was it on here that works at a dealership? Can you find out what ECM the Aveo uses. 2004 5 speed. Also what is used to reflash the ECM? Thanks "

aveoblue:
"what do you want to know about the ECM. A GM scan tool is used to reprogram the ecm, but not without GM's knowledge. It is regulated through a web based program that interfaces through a scan tool called

Brian5475E:
"So there is no way of remapping the ecu without a dealer? As in remapping for timing and fuel for a turbo?"

exodus:
"My experiences with such software usually involves an expensive license. You usually don't have to work for the manufacturer, but to be able to use the official scantool you need to purchase the tool itself and a usage license for the software.
If one could get into a dealership shop (via a friend or something), it might be possible to "sniff" the information sent during a legit reprogram/scan and write a new program that emulates the official protocol... but that's a whole mess of work and hassle. "

AvEoblue:
"For performance related programing, it involves finding the software logic & how it pertains to ecm input/output. When it comes to aftermarket, its down to supply & demand. I would imagine anyone could adapt an aftermarket ecu but to establish a baseline for programing, to make the car run is another problem, someone has to have already copied the logic into the vendor language so the car will run with the ecu. Then it can be tuned from there with your own computer & interface. Detailed ECU pinouts are needed to graft the aftermarket in & in some cases the factory ecu may still be needed for some functions to be carried out.
For factory related programing, ie; tire size programing, ecu reflashing...can be done dealer equipment because that is all it is designed to do. Unless a new program is relased from the factory to "change" calibrations, that is the only time dealer equipment is used to modify.
To come up with the interface to "copy" software programs is another thing. Someone with an understading of binary code (0,1) is needed to understand the inputs & ouputs of normal ecu function based on sensor values & engine responses."

aveosummit:
"Has anyone run across the software program to reflash the ecu? Also how expensive are we talking..I personally would like to reprogram mine for better gas mileage with my given/future modifications..."