•  

Thread: Custom cold air intake/ram air

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Custom cold air intake/ram air

Let me know what you guys think. I didn't stop and put the filter just above the front left wheel well like most CAIs out there. Instead, I used a dremel on the front slats of the front left oval piece on the front bumper and had the intake sit just behind that. So all of the air hitting the front of the car can jump right into that intake hence ram air.

All of this for ~ $75 in parts. Not too bad. I'm going to go drive it now and see if I can feel any difference in my seat of the pants dyno.

One idea i'm still kicking around is i'm not sure if I like the look of the oval piece w/o the slats in it. I might order another one and just dremel the rear of the slats so that it allows air in but also has the slats in front for looks. I don't know.

Last edited by RoRo; 07-07-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
      Looks good to me.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Did you make a DIY guide? A lot of people come on here asking for a 2nd gen intake, not like it is anything difficult to do, but a DIY may steer them in the right direction, would be very helpful.

Looks very good though, you should see roughly 4-5whp which is pretty damn good.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I'll take better pictures tomorrow when hopefully it's not raining. I didn't bother to make a DIY guide. I was laughing though when taking all of the stock pieces off. I don't know how it is on the 1st gen Aveo, but on the 2nd gen, they have this snorkel looking thing that runs from the second black box you pull off and goes up into the passenger side front fender. I don't know how or where air gets to that to do anything for your engine. If you look at the rear of the passenger side headlight and go about 5 inches towards the back of the car on that fender, then that is where this snorkel/intake thingy was.

But making your own CAI is quite simple, if you have a local muffler shop with a pipe bender and cutter, then it's just a matter of choosing what size pipes you want and picking out the air filter and getting everything to match up.

I'm also thinking about taking the pipes back off and painting everything with high temp black textured paint. I've had that paint on a previous car and it looked pretty sweet, but then again that car was black.
      Last edited by RoRo; 07-08-2011 at 03:53 AM.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      just put black mesh in the ole on each side.. racer feel..

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tidus10 View Post
      just put black mesh in the ole on each side.. racer feel..
      well instead of only 4-5whp, you can see gains off 10-15whp, i think that is a good ideal

Hey
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
      I'll take better pictures tomorrow when hopefully it's not raining. I didn't bother to make a DIY guide. I was laughing though when taking all of the stock pieces off. I don't know how it is on the 1st gen Aveo, but on the 2nd gen, they have this snorkel looking thing that runs from the second black box you pull off and goes up into the passenger side front fender. I don't know how or where air gets to that to do anything for your engine. If you look at the rear of the passenger side headlight and go about 5 inches towards the back of the car on that fender, then that is where this snorkel/intake thingy was.

But making your own CAI is quite simple, if you have a local muffler shop with a pipe bender and cutter, then it's just a matter of choosing what size pipes you want and picking out the air filter and getting everything to match up.

I'm also thinking about taking the pipes back off and painting everything with high temp black textured paint. I've had that paint on a previous car and it looked pretty sweet, but then again that car was black.
      so what size where the pipes?