•  

Thread: considering a swap, i'd like your input please

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

considering a swap, i'd like your input please

Okay, so I had a crazy idea of doing an AWD swap to the aveo. I was thinking of a EJ20T motor, the JDM one of course. for those of you who don't know, it's the motor of a 99-2000 subaru impreza wrx. of course i would have to get supporting parts, brakes, suspension etc; but what do you guys think?
      thanks,
      paul

-Paul

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      If your going to do all that work id do it to a better car than an aveo. I dont mean that in a bad way but its an eco car. Do a cobalt engine swap its going to be way cheaper and there are people on here that can help with questions. That being said id like to see a new swap done but at what cost to you? It would be awsome to see it done. Ifyou do decide togo that route good luck and make a build thread so we can follow.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i would go few ways with an AWD swap. obviously the 1.6 isnt enough power for awd. but sticking in OEM fashion with the f28 mated to a miata rear end modified to accept the opel center diff.

OR

vw R32 complete drivetrain. awesome driveline all around.. potential of 600 hp with twin turbo add ons.

or

sx4 driveline, similar size, whole wrecked car >$3000 not really an awesome swap but 150 hp, awd 6 speed.

just my thoughts.

Thanks
      i want to have a daily driver that has a great amount of kick to it, and by kick i mean boost as well as it be AWD. (don't get me wrong, i'd love RWD, but the aveo is my first car, and if im' gonna keep her for a while, i wanna do something really unique) The subaru conversion would have a 5 speed, 276 hp, and about 250 tq.
      -Paul

Thanks
      Or you could be really awesome and swap a vr6 swap Lots of potential and plus that sweet sweet sound of the offset cyls plus you could turbo or procharge. Either way it would be cheeper than all of the options above.

Thanks
      yes but taxing the front wheels with all that responsibility is never good. I'd like to have a car that is able to do more advanced techniques, as well as handle amazingly, and let's be honest all drivers know that FWD is not ideal. I hate tremendous amounts of understeer as well as when it snows, i have a hard time getting going b/c my tires are sitting there spinning. Or for that matter when i want to drift in the snow. I've driven many many performance/sports cars and i gotta say i love RWD the most, due to the fact that i can get very sideways but AWD is a bit more practical and going w/ a subaru would be very proper. no? Now, you might be saying, "get a different car?" or whatever, but i do love my little aveo, she's my first car, and i'mgonna keep her for a while, as i previously stated. This would be a swap that nobody would ever really think of, or maybe they already have. Imagine, you're at a red light, and a stock looking aveo next to you is trying to race a little. You're driving along in your bmw, audi, or what have you and think, "ha this car ain't gonna do ****" so you decide to have a little fun. Light turns green and BAM, the aveo just left you in the dust. Now THAT would be some raw ****
      -Paul

Thanks
      I understand completely. I have spent alot of hours thinking of that. I would love to see this when my engine goes it will be a vr6 that replaces it but between all my expensive hobbys it is just not something i can think about doing for a long time. Ive got my truck to resto and snowboarding and now downhill mtb. All take money, and im fine with my car just looking good for now becides i cant go that fast im to low for that lol. My only question is do you want an engine that has a top end or an awd car thats fast till 90 because most skoobys are only fast off the line till the fwd or rwd car hits 3rd gear. I know this from driving and evo8 and racing an AMG. i got him from the line but he caught me shortly after but an evo is heavy and an aveo is light i know. I just dont like skoobys thats just me.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Buick Encore. 1.4L Turbo Ecotec motor, AWD

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks
      LNF from a turbo Cobalt... 260 HP / 260 TQ.... 330 HP / 319 TQ with Trifecta tune!

But really, unless you lived in Malaysia (like xiaogary), where it costs upwards of $15K in fees alone to buy a 10K car, I'd just save your money and then buy R32 Golf, WRX, EVO IX, or what have you... If you already had a totaled one of those that you had sitting in your garage - that'd be a different story..

Last edited by serega12; 02-03-2013 at 11:07 PM.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD