•  

Thread: clutch going? timing belt replacement?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

clutch going? timing belt replacement?

Hey guys! I have a 06 Aveo5 Special Value with 5-Speed manual transmission and 100,000KMS. And I've put 30,000 on since I bought it in August.. And I bought it with 70,000 off a lease return. I guess when you do clutch dumps, and reverse to 1st, and drop it a lot, it ruins your clutch.

I do notice now, it used to engage in gear half way up the pedal almost, it felt springy. But now it doesn't engage until near the end of the pedal? However, everything is smooth, and I know it's not slipping because whenever it does engage, there isn't any dry revving - as if it was in neutral. It just goes into gear, and the second you tap the gas it accelerates and revs normally.

However whenever you do switch gears, 1st, 2nd and 3rd the car doesn't "dip down" like it used too, but it does a bit in 4th and 5th.

I've heard stories of peoples clutches going, and blowing the engine and transmission. So I'm kind of worried, I'm a 17 year old paying off the car.

---------

My other question is, what about the timing belt? I have money, but it's needed for other things right now. I hit 100,000KM and it doesn't seem to be slipping, but apparently they can just "go" anytime.. So should I change it now, or is there anyway to confirm I'm safe for now? I'm in Mexico now, and a week after I get home I'm taking a trip to Fredericton with my girlfriend. Don't want my clutch or belt going on the way....

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I know about stick shifts, but timing belt wise you should be fine if it makes no noise and looks good (no cracks or anything) GM says 60000 miles but people have gotten over 100k miles without changing it and they are fine, but when it breaks it is not good lol

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if there is no smell, the gears hold, and its smooth like you say.. no chatter? the the mechanics of the clutch are probably ok.. aside from the normal wear from milage ad abuse.

i would look at getting the pedal bled as a possibility. Sounds more like a pedal height issue than a mechanical issue.

however if the pedal is low, because the clutch is worn, unlike brakes, the pedal releases higher. just as worn brakes need more fluid. This might be a sign your is wearing, but as long as it holds, i would get as much out of it as possible.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Well there is a sound coming from the engine area, but it's coming from basically where the alternator belt is, which was replaced twice in the last 2 months. I'm having any performance issues though.

So you mean I might need some more transmission fluid? It goes into gear fine, and holds fine. There isn't any chatter or weird sounds at all, everything is smooth as it was from day one. It just releases towards the top of the pedal though, if that makes any sense? I have to let out the pedal further then before, to notice an RPM drop. But what do you mean get as much out of it as possible? If it goes, doesn't it blow my transmission and engine?

I just basically need to know if you think my clutch will be fine as long as I don't abuse it anymore? I don't want to replace it until mid summer, and would I still be able to drive my car? I live off my car.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Not transmission fluid, clutch fluid. The clutch release mechanism is hydraulic so changing the fluid isn't a bad idea if you've been rough on the car. It's not complicated, with the car stopped you pump the clutch a few times, keep your foot in, someone opens the bleeder (which is on the clutch slave cylinder on the transmission) and close it, repeat until you see new fluid.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      ^^^ and top off the fluid as you do it. so not to drain it out of the top.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      And try not to get fluid all over the place, it's the same as brake fluid which is extremely corosive and will go right through your car's paint!