•  

Thread: Checking to see if Tranny fluid is ok to use

What's wrong with my car? VaVaVeo's Avatar
      Thanks

Checking to see if Tranny fluid is ok to use

Went to my local part store, asked for t-fluid for my 05 Aveo automatic. He recommended Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic Part No. 788699.

Anyone know if this is good for the Aveo? I know it takes Dex III, just not sure about this stuff.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I am getting my popcorn out for this.....

Joking, I honestly know nothing about this

What's wrong with my car? VaVaVeo's Avatar
      Thanks
      ok addition question - we found the spec page that was linked on this thread (direct link to the fact sheet where we got info is here)which says the trans holds 6.1 quarts. so we pulled the plug and drained it and put 5 in. we tested it and the lvl is CRAZY high. we drained about a quart and it was still way up there, but its really hard to tell where the line is.

how many quarts are you supposed to put in? we dont have manual and just went off what we could find online.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by VaVaVeo View Post
      ok addition question - we found the spec page that was linked on this thread (direct link to the fact sheet where we got info is here)which says the trans holds 6.1 quarts. so we pulled the plug and drained it and put 5 in. we tested it and the lvl is CRAZY high. we drained about a quart and it was still way up there, but its really hard to tell where the line is.

how many quarts are you supposed to put in? we dont have manual and just went off what we could find online.
      First, read this thread which is later and more detailed than the other one.

Either Dexron III or T-IV will work. The Valvoline is essentially T-IV and it is partially synthetic, and it is according to manufacturer's specs as being the correct, recommended fluid.

When you drain any automatic transmission you are only draining out about 1/3 of the entire fluid capacity of it. It is impossible to drain it all out without having special equipment. However, you grossly overfilled it. But you can simply drain out what you put in and recapture all that fluid. Use a clean pan to drain it into and save it all. If it is clean (which it probably is if you didn't drive it much) simply retain it and (this time) pour in only about a pint at a time, checking the fluid level on the dipstick between pourings. It will take about two quarts at most. Save the rest of the relatively clean fluid for the next time you change it.