•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing the AT Fluid Tomorrow

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Changing the AT Fluid Tomorrow

Well since I cant find the drain plug for the transmission, I am going ot have Chevy do a full transmission flush tomorrow. They said it would run from $149-$179....depending on what the ydo. I dont know what that means. They have flyers all over the place, telling exactly what they do in a transmission flush. So...might as well invest in a preventitive fluid change, than a possible trans. down the road. It runs perfectly, and the fluid is only light brown and doesnt smell burnt, so all new fresh fluid should keep it in good shape for a few more years. I'll keep ya inforamed as to what they do and how much it costs in the end. They said 3 hours to do it, and the last time I had a preventitive thing done, they cut $50 off the price, the yhad like no work for all the mechanics, so it was the owners time to get a 'deal' for once!

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Transmission pan w/drain plug can be found driver side not too far off from the front tire.
      Last edited by Aveo5_boy; 01-11-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      JMO, but I would never power flush an AT. Over time, little nastys can break off from the various tranny parts, and find happy homes where they don't bother anything. A power flush can stir these things up, move them around, and cause them to find new homes in less-friendly places . But if the "flush" they do is actually a full transfer, which only uses the vehicle's own pumping system, then that's great (as long as they refill at the required rate). I've read a number of transmission failures happening not too long after a power flush was done.

Thanks

Trans. Change Done!

Well I had my flush done. Nice to read about trans. problems after having flushing done. Gee, cant i get a break. It cost $149 and then $191 out the door, with the EPA 'enviromental dumpinmg taxes', and of course state taxes. Only 2 hours to get it done, at 7am..man the place was filled with other 7am guys! It runs like a top now, the shifts are very tight/crisp, I even called back to the dealer, worried that something was wrong! They said if it wasnt tight/crisp, then there would be a problem and bring it back! With all the dirty fluid gone, and the new fluid in it, it should feel like new again. Thats the point of getting it done. It only holds 3.3 quarts of trans. fluid, by the way, if anyone wants to know how much it holds.

They said they used 2 bottles of the cleaning chemical, called 'AOC', but it is like $3 a bottle, so not a big deal. No replaceable filter, I asked. I would have liked to have seen this machine hooked up to the car, I should have asked, but I forgot, just to see what goes on. The 3.3 quarts cost $66. Is that the expensive transmission fluid I see mentioned in seveal posts???

The receipt says it has a chemical in the new fluid that prevents varnish and oxidation from forming. I asked about taking out the drain plug myself to change the fluid, and I was told that i would get about 1/2 a quart, maybe, if I took it out. But it doesnt clean the torque converter and the other parts, I would just be changing the fluid, not getting rid of any debris. And of course I would have to do it several times to get 'clean fluid'. No replaceable filter, I asked. My service advisor said it was the right time to do it, time wise, since I have so few miles on it. BUT with 99% of my miles being in the city, it needed to be done, and it took 2 bottles of that 'AOC' cleaner, to get all the 'gunk' out of it. At $3 a bottle, no big deal!

Well it is done. Wish me well, and I hope it stays nice and tight for a while. Heck a trans. fluid change once in 6.5 years, even at just under $200...a cheap investment, against transmission work down the road, I hope.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      Well I had my flush done. Nice to read about trans. problems after having flushing done. Gee, cant i get a break.
      LOL!
      It cost $149 and then $191 out the door, with the EPA 'enviromental dumpinmg taxes', and of course state taxes. Only 2 hours to get it done, at 7am..man the place was filled with other 7am guys! It runs like a top now, the shifts are very tight/crisp, I even called back to the dealer, worried that something was wrong! They said if it wasnt tight/crisp, then there would be a problem and bring it back! With all the dirty fluid gone, and the new fluid in it, it should feel like new again. Thats the point of getting it done. It only holds 3.3 quarts of trans. fluid, by the way, if anyone wants to know how much it holds.

They said they used 2 bottles of the cleaning chemical, called 'AOC', but it is like $3 a bottle, so not a big deal. No replaceable filter, I asked. I would have liked to have seen this machine hooked up to the car, I should have asked, but I forgot, just to see what goes on. The 3.3 quarts cost $66. Is that the expensive transmission fluid I see mentioned in seveal posts???

The receipt says it has a chemical in the new fluid that prevents varnish and oxidation from forming. I asked about taking out the drain plug myself to change the fluid, and I was told that i would get about 1/2 a quart, maybe, if I took it out. But it doesnt clean the torque converter and the other parts, I would just be changing the fluid, not getting rid of any debris. And of course I would have to do it several times to get 'clean fluid'. No replaceable filter, I asked. My service advisor said it was the right time to do it, time wise, since I have so few miles on it. BUT with 99% of my miles being in the city, it needed to be done, and it took 2 bottles of that 'AOC' cleaner, to get all the 'gunk' out of it. At $3 a bottle, no big deal!

Well it is done. Wish me well, and I hope it stays nice and tight for a while. Heck a trans. fluid change once in 6.5 years, even at just under $200...a cheap investment, against transmission work down the road, I hope.
      Glad you are pleased with the service and it sounds like your ride is new again. The dealer although didn't really give accurate numbers, the automatic transmission holds a total of 6.2 qt. (5.87L) according to your 2006 Aveo manual under Capacities and Specifications (Pg.5-80) It's been a while since i drained my trans fluid but i can assure you it was more than just a 1/2 quart. I'll post the amount when I do my next drain & fill. Anyhow the job is done, enjoy the ride!
      Last edited by Aveo5_boy; 01-11-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks
      This is my third try at replying. So I will make it short this time. Let me live in denile. I am happy. I spent a lot of money, but less than a new Transmission! It runs even better than before. I called them back and asked why so little fluid was put in, I thought trans. held gallons of fluid. But that was in teh good old days. When cars were made all of metal and had huge transmissions. They told me that a small amount stays in the torque converter, and teh only way to get it all is to remove the entire transaxle/converter, and who is going to pay for that? Not me.
      My service advisor told me he use to work at Toyota, and he knew that Toyota trans fluid was even more expensive, I got plain old GM trans. fluid at $22 a quart. They put in 3.3 quarts, thats what it says, and if that is only half, according to the reply above, let me live in denile. The AT dipstick comes out nice and red/pink and smells clean, it shifts nice and crisp/tight now, better than before and it was fine before. So...I spent the money, if something goes wrong, I will go blame it on the flush and make a big stink about it to GM headquarters But for now...let me live in the bliss of denile if that is where I am at. Ok?

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      This is my third try at replying. So I will make it short this time. Let me live in denile. I am happy....

(And the post ends with

But for now...let me live in the bliss of denile if that is where I am at. Ok?
      I found this thread peculiar. In all that was said in response to you, no one but you ever suggested you are in denial (that's how denial is spelled, BTW.) No one said anything that could be considered negative in response to you. Yet you are very defensive, seemingly in an imagined conflict that is not present.

Hey - if you're happy, we're happy! OK?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      I found this thread peculiar. In all that was said in response to you, no one but you ever suggested you are in denial (that's how denial is spelled, BTW.) No one said anything that could be considered negative in response to you. Yet you are very defensive, seemingly in an imagined conflict that is not present.

Hey - if you're happy, we're happy! OK?
      ThymeClock; After trying to post my note 3 times, this site wouldn't post it, I got tired of writing ,and made a mistake, eek! I misspelled a word! Oh my god! Sorry ,little things like how to spell a word is what makes me so 'defensive' as you put it. If you read the posts by others, if I or anyone gets a trans. power flushed, I/we are going to be in trouble possibly very soon because little 'bits and pieces' will now lodge themselves where they dont belong. But if you flush out ALL the fluid and 'gunk' nothing is going to get lodged where it doesnt belong, it is flushed out. So its like I cant win if I do it the right, I cant win if I do it myself.

So I choose to do it right, to get it completely cleaned and then fresh fluid and addtional MOC fluid added to condition the seals and prevent oxidation. Something I dont think I could add on my own.
      I get great results and now I get a post of ..'now wait for it to blow up'. This thread got me off my butt to get my trans. flushed, as a preventative finally, even though my miles are low, the car is 6.5 years in use. It was time to do it, to hopefully put off any major repair for a long while. I was just reporting what I had done.

BTW, the chemical used to clean he internal parts is called 'MOC', an ATF supplement used to fortify the new fluid against oxidation and condition the seals, as well as clean the internal parts as the fluid is flushed out. It is not 'AOC' as i misspelled it. There is a website from the company telling all about this 'MOC' chemical, MOC Products - Home Page. I have to go look it over, to see what it is exactly. I dont see my 'defensiveness' you talk about. After typing for over an hour, the same post 3 times, and it would not post, I was tired of doing it, so I misspelled a word, EEK! I was just telling everyone what I went through, and if they are in the same position, and dont have thick burnt fluid,or chunks of metal in their trans., this could be a good option, and then its done. It cleans all the parts and lubes them, not just drain the dirty fluid. Its people that pick on tiny things like a single misspelled word that drives me nuts. Considering most of the people here make the same mistake, unless they have auto-correct, 1 misspelled a word, and thats what you choose to pick on? Why? Hmm? Basically saying I cant spell I guess, but I dont use auto correct, I TRY and spell correctly, and look up words in a dictionary! Oh my, the old fashion way.

If this site would have taken the first post I typed in, I wouldn't have made such a horrible mistake. After 3 tries, I was cross eyed and misspelled, dear god, what next, a period instead of a comma?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I get great results and now I get a post of ..'now wait for it to blow up'. .... I was just reporting what I had done. ....
      You're misstating the events that actually occurred. I sent my reply in response to your plan to have it flushed, and a few hours prior to you saying that you actually had it done. What you need to understand is that folks posting on these forums are usually looking for information or opinions about things they are about to do, and that's why I send my reply. I would never have made that post in response to you actually having done the flush. And with regard to what I said about the flush; please keep in mind that many of us are just amature DIY mechanics. I've never even opened up an AT, and I was just passing along information that I've read, primarily on forums like this one. Anyone reading something like I wrote should always cross-check that information with other sources to see if there is a consensus. If I was a transmission pro with 30 years of experience, and said that about flushing, then you might have something to worry about. Like everyone else, I hope this works out great for you and you get many more trouble-free miles from your vehicle!

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      ThymeClock; After trying to post my note 3 times, this site wouldn't post it, I got tired of writing ,and made a mistake, eek! I misspelled a word! Oh my god! Sorry ,little things like how to spell a word is what makes me so 'defensive' as you put it. ...

...I dont see my 'defensiveness' you talk about. After typing for over an hour, the same post 3 times, and it would not post, I was tired of doing it, so I misspelled a word, EEK! ... Considering most of the people here make the same mistake, unless they have auto-correct, 1 misspelled a word, and thats what you choose to pick on? Why? Hmm? Basically saying I cant spell I guess, but I dont use auto correct, I TRY and spell correctly, and look up words in a dictionary! Oh my, the old fashion way.

If this site would have taken the first post I typed in, I wouldn't have made such a horrible mistake. After 3 tries, I was cross eyed and misspelled, dear god, what next, a period instead of a comma?
      Wow, what a rant.

No one is blaming you for any misspelling. It has nothing to do with the defensiveness shown in your ranting.

If you calm down you may not feel such a need to rant on and on about such things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast