•  

Thread: Car keeps overheating and has starting issues

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Unhappy Car keeps overheating and has starting issues

Hello Aveo Community,

I'm having big issues with my 2011 Chevy Aveo. It keeps overheating on me and I don't know what else to do.
      So far I've replaced the thermostat and the temperature sensor. I also have to top-off my coolant once a week. In addition to that, the car sometimes has trouble starting. I'm worried that coolant is getting into the combustion chamber, but I don't have any white smoke coming out in the back.
      I believe the waterpump works well, since the air coming into the passenger cabin is warm.

I am also wondering if it would we wise to add some head gasket sealing?

Does anyone have expirience with an issue like that?

Thank you,
      Ben

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Do the cooling fans come on?

Thanks
      Yes, fan comes on.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The 2009-2011 Aveo's have the LXV/Z16XER motor, with an engine oil cooler placed right behind the exhaust manifold catalytic converter. Because of the roasting effect from the cat, the engine oil seals deteriorate quite quickly. And when the engine oil cooler seals go, engine oil gets into the coolant, and forms a sludge that softens plastics and rubber belonging to the cooling system. And therefore becomes the main source of various coolant leaks. When I bought my used 2009 Aveo in 2013, the engine oil cooler was already leaking oil into the coolant, and there was already the sludge present in the coolant recovery tank. I had frequent leaks in the coolant recovery tank, rad hoses, heater hoses, water pump, until i replaced the engine oil cooler.

If I were you, I would replace the engine oil cooler first, and any hoses that were bulging, and the coolant recovery tank if you see any sludge. And do a thorough coolant flush.

Only after that, if overheating and coolant loss persisted, would i think about the head gasket.

Deano

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
      The 2009-2011 Aveo's have the LXV/Z16XER motor, with an engine oil cooler placed right behind the exhaust manifold catalytic converter. Because of the roasting effect from the cat, the engine oil seals deteriorate quite quickly. And when the engine oil cooler seals go, engine oil gets into the coolant, and forms a sludge that softens plastics and rubber belonging to the cooling system. And therefore becomes the main source of various coolant leaks. When I bought my used 2009 Aveo in 2013, the engine oil cooler was already leaking oil into the coolant, and there was already the sludge present in the coolant recovery tank. I had frequent leaks in the coolant recovery tank, rad hoses, heater hoses, water pump, until i replaced the engine oil cooler.

If I were you, I would replace the engine oil cooler first, and any hoses that were bulging, and the coolant recovery tank if you see any sludge. And do a thorough coolant flush.

Only after that, if overheating and coolant loss persisted, would i think about the head gasket.

Deano
      Would there be any evidence in the oil? I checked the oil and it doesn't have any discoleration. Same with the coolant, looks all nice in there as well.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      You might be lucky. I don't think you will see anything unusual in the oil, if the engine oil cooler was leaking. But you would see oil sludge and/or oil scum around the insides of the coolant recovery tank.

Maybe a bad engine oil cooler isn't a part of your problem. But I'd be surprised if your 2011 Aveo has lasted all the way to 2021 with its original engine oil cooler. They always end up leaking sooner or later.

Deano

Thanks
      The car has only 70K miles given the age.