•  

Thread: Can,t get at air filter !

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Can,t get at air filter !

What needs to be done to get at air filter ? 2 of the 4 bolts are just spinning; someone must have over torqued them. Any tricks you can share or is my only solution to drill them them out ?
      Breathing heavy in MTL.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      can you feel for a clip behind them? if the clip is spinning then you just need to hold it still. or put a msall screw driver under the head and pry it up as you unscrew it.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I had the same problem, I ended up stripping the screws and doing what rabbit said. then i put in a nut and bolt to hold the airbox together. those stock screws suck. you can find a new airbox on ebay for not too much. thats if you want to keep it clean looking. or get the inexpensive chromeintakes cold air intake kit and gain mpgs

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Buy a 3 inch high flow filter, and talk to an exhaust shop about bending some 2.5" pipe flanged out to 3" for the filter that sits just under the body where the factory intake sucks air anyway. This can be done for about 40-50 dollars all said and done. More or less depending on your exhaust shop's prices. This filter should be about 20 bucks unless you find a deal on ebay. You will need a hose clamp to hold the pipe into the factory air sensor piping.

Or just buy a filter box that isn't messed up at a junkyard. those would be permanent repairs.

If there is a clip you might be able to superglue it into place so that it doesn't spin.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Same thing happened to me. I had already bought the new filter so I went at the box with a hammer and chisel swapped the filter, and put it back together with wood screws and a tube of silicon. Then waited for my chrome Intakes CAI to show up. It was really just a convenient excuse to get an CAI.

Thanks
      Thanks guys, you have all confirmed the only solutions open to me, I'll start with the local recycler and if not toooo many $$, then that'll be my choice.....if tooo many $$ then I,ll drill out the scews and replace with a nut bolt combo. As for the cold air solution, that will have to wait until I have some serious miles on it and my wife passes it down to the boys.
      Thks again

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      you have the right idea cdnric,just drill them replace with small nut and bolt had to do mine that way too.cost 1/2 hr and 3.oo no problem.

I'll keep it and add a turbo t.fader's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by smiller View Post
      Same thing happened to me. I had already bought the new filter so I went at the box with a hammer and chisel swapped the filter, and put it back together with wood screws and a tube of silicon. Then waited for my chrome Intakes CAI to show up. It was really just a convenient excuse to get an CAI.
      dou have any pics of install? i wanna put on my 08 aveo5 but im scared i wont be able to install, or im scared of it making my engine light come on, or even sucking water, i live in canada ontario, and i drive the highway everyday i dont wanna suck up mist from other cars
      Fastest Aveo5 In The GTA

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      type CAI in the search box, there have been a few write-ups about DIY installing of the chromeintakes ebay kit. there is also another part that fits in the piping for an extra 25 bucks (bypass valve) that will ensure you do not hydrolock the engine by sucking up water.