•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aveo turbo charging & part options

Thanks

Aveo turbo charging & part options

Is anyone seriously considering putting a turbo on their aveo? Can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

Anyway, I thought it would be good to discuss what the options are as far as engine management systems, turbos, manifolds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      ...xiogary has turbo manifolds available for the etec engines. The ecotec engines seem to potentially have direct fitment with a vxs-r turbo manifold but that still needs verified. So options for the manifold are out there. I personay am someday checkinto the vxs-r manifold and seeing if the computer will just plug it. That and a few other pieces matched off the oem setup should be an effective turbo setup, hopefully.

For the etec guys piggy back or standalone are the best options unless you adapt somethng from somewhere else

another project I want to attempt in the faarcar future is making a replacement harness and running a vw 1.8t system as management. But it would be all the sensors and such but programming would be available from multiple resources.
      What turbos bolt up to xiogary's manifolds?

What piggybacks work well with the etecs?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Turbocharging & part options

Quote Originally Posted by xiaogary
      Some pictures. Came with 38mm wastegate flange (and cover + screws not shown in pictures) if not using external wastegate. This is a T3 .42/.48 turbo commonly available in ebay which is meant for EVO III.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

As far as piggy backs it depends on how much you want to control, boost, and adjustibilty etc you want. Guys are running low boost seem to get away with a manual boost controller as boost goes up more management is required. You could run an apexi set up or buy a standalone and run it on to of the factory system as a piggy back. Depending on how your emissions laws are you can easily go full standalone and control everything for a couple hundred dollars if you use megasquirt and install it yourself. Even then though you should plane on dyno tuning, etc.

Thanks

I did do some reading on daewootech and I guess I'm of the mind that a lot of those guys are a bit crazy, or just don't know what they're doing (some do, some don't, its a very apparent line). They go spend money on new turbos and manifolds but no good management systems just to have their engine blow or to only run 4 psi. I just find that dumb. So I say spend a couple hundred more and do it right. You really want fuel and ignition control. You want a wideband o2 and egt sensor to tune the car (or go to a dyno that has them). Anything less and your setup is not going to give you the power its capable of, and there is a very good chance you'll harm your engine.

I personally like the piggyback setups. Half the tuning is already done for you, cold start and all that is taken care of already. So, I guess I was thinking a greddy emanage (blue or ultimate) would work out nicely. The blue isn't too expensive anymore and relatively easy to find used.

The megasquirt is a decent and cheap setup, but how much sensor swapping needs to be done?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

existance on daewootech has a turbo 2.0l... All he is using for engine management is an eManage Blue to control fuel only. Apparently the stock ecu timing is pretty good for boosting.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

Thats not sayin too much for the stock tune!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daox
      I did do some reading on daewootech and I guess I'm of the mind that a lot of those guys are a bit crazy, or just don't know what they're doing (some do, some don't, its a very apparent line). They go spend money on new turbos and manifolds but no good management systems just to have their engine blow or to only run 4 psi. I just find that dumb. So I say spend a couple hundred more and do it right. You really want fuel and ignition control. You want a wideband o2 and egt sensor to tune the car (or go to a dyno that has them). Anything less and your setup is not going to give you the power its capable of, and there is a very good chance you'll harm your engine.
      this is why i am not turbo yet because i agree with you 90%

The other 10% is because i am not against a big turbo on a stock long block that is readily available because its the cheapest part to replace.. and to the same spec= tune ir once have the weak point the engine, so if something fails you throw in a new long block that the rest of the system is already tuned for, and repeat. this would be good for an ABA vw because they are only $75 at the yard with a 90 day warranty and tend to be round 75k miles. In most applications i see fail its a component like the turbo that goes, and then blows the expensively built engine.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Honestly, I would never use a T3 Turbo. Just not a fan. If I were to ever add a turbo to my 09', I would probably do something simple like Rabbit said and adapt a 1.8T harness with a K04 turbo to start. This would be a great platform to start from for cheap. Then when you rip the motor out to make it a little monster you can upgrade to a T04E style Garrett GT3076R...Ah, my mouth is watering...
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Thanks

I was thinking of a few different turbos that would work nicely. Basically anything off a ~2.0L from the past decade or two. Here are a few.

T25 (eclipse, talon)
      RHB5 (probe, mx6)
      TD04 (wrx)

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

ko3/ ko3s vw turbo

highly available for cheap.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast