•  
    Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aveo header with pics!

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks

Aveo header with pics!

Ok so I ordered the Aveo header from xiaogary and lemme tell you that this works great!
      The installation is pretty straightfoward. You will need to buy new bolts to connect the collector of the header with the flange of the flex pipe, as they both have holes for bolts oddly enough, a slight oversight in the design of the header. Keep in mind that the header was made in Singapore, which means that theyre emissions system might be different. (I.E. no cat?) Which might explain the holes....I highly recommend that you get the O2 sensor extension so you wont get a CEL.

I also recommend wraping the header with exhaust wrap because you cannot use the stock heat shield on these headers.

Anyway, here are the pics.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Aveo header with pics!

So do you have a cat on it or not?

Just a comment... Be cautious with the materials and welds, I'd reccomend checking the metal and welds at least once a month for a year before saying it's good to get... I say that mainly because it is made in Singapore and they don't care much for quality cause cars there are a dime a dozen cheap ass crappers. The best OEM materials for high heat stuff: iron, steel or aluminum... The best aftermarket materials: Stainless steel, specifically 304 on the cheaper end or 321 on the better stuff. By the way that looks it's probably aluminum, which is OK depending on how thick it is, but it does discolor over time. In other words make sure you check out the welds every so often...

Also a bigger question for me, I'm terrified of hydrolocking the engine with that AEM CAI, how did you get that bypass in there? Does it come stock or do you have to cut it?
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

setup is looking great =)
      liking the blacked out headlight housing too.
      i have this header too and yes you are right it does run mighty fine and pulls a lot harder
      ULTRA RACING canada goodies available here ://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g0ast
      So do you have a cat on it or not?

Just a comment... Be cautious with the materials and welds, I'd reccomend checking the metal and welds at least once a month for a year before saying it's good to get... I say that mainly because it is made in Singapore and they don't care much for quality cause cars there are a dime a dozen cheap ass crappers. The best OEM materials for high heat stuff: iron, steel or aluminum... The best aftermarket materials: Stainless steel, specifically 304 on the cheaper end or 321 on the better stuff. By the way that looks it's probably aluminum, which is OK depending on how thick it is, but it does discolor over time. In other words make sure you check out the welds every so often...

Also a bigger question for me, I'm terrified of hydrolocking the engine with that AEM CAI, how did you get that bypass in there? Does it come stock or do you have to cut it?
      I dont have the cat in.

I bought the AEM bypass valve, it uses the 2.5'' size. I had to cut it using a cutting guide, It is a little difficult to get the intake to line up after you install the bypass valve. What i did to make it easier was remove the nut holding the bracket that is held by the rubber spacer and just use the spacer to tie down teh bracket. I hope you understood that, if not, i can take a picture.

What should i be checking for in the welds? holes or something? im just glad i actually HAVE a header, no one else makes one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist
      What should i be checking for in the welds? holes or something? im just glad i actually HAVE a header, no one else makes one.
      It depends on how good the welds are made. The biggest weakness of welds is the shrinking/expanding of the metal when it heats up, the weld material if it's different from the header material, could expand or contract at a different rate which causes it to crack and fail, all that would really do is leak some exhaust out of the crack which decreases efficiency and could pose a threat to things nearby (leaking hot gas is like a jet, it could melt stuff), plus the look of smoke coming out of the engine bay never looks good. Over time that crack could expand and make the whole weld fail, disconnecting the weld from the material.

The main test is just looking to see if any smoke is coming out when it's on I believe. The bigger problem for you might be not having a cat at all, emissions just fly out the window without it, and if you're really worried about performance, there are performance cats that work just as well but don't decrease efficiency, and because the headers don't fit the cat in it's old place, you might be able to get an attachment fabricated to fit the old cat further down the piping, instead of where it used to be.

Although the performance difference without a cat is good, usually about 15-30hp gained.

And if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see a pic of the CAI to see what you mean.
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g0ast
      Although the performance difference without a cat is good, usually about 15-30hp gained.
      Assuming you are talking wheel horse power 15-30hp is not a typical gain.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

15-30hp (not wheel) might be the gain on a car making 200+ hp.. a turbo benefits more from the lack of a cat. but honestly, even without a cat, our cars will run cleaner than a new mid 80's carbed car with all their emission equipment intact would have.

an easy way to check for cracks is to start the car while the engine and exhaust are still cold. and run your hand over the pipes and feel for "blowing" make sure the car is cold, and the header will only take a minute warm to the touch, so don't burn yourself! if anything on the header will crack, it will be either against the head flange or at the collector. collector is most likely, as even good expensive headers will crack there.

the quality of parts from that part of the world are higher when they build the parts for themselves. the USA is the only country on the planet that view cars as disposable. And the companies from the united states that outsource to these coutries are the ones who hold low standards, not the countries themselves.

Thanks

i could care less for emissions, i just hope my header doesnt crack

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

it looks like it is fully seem welded. so i dont think it will crack to easily. typically, the cheap stuff that come out of taiwan is flared inside the flange, and then tacked in a few places..

Thanks

I can garantee it will not crack, I have been using one for 2 years on my own aveo.

Anyway, for those people who thinks owning cars in Singapore is cheap, it is not. I bought my aveo at a price of $38US dollar. Yes. Its $38US. Or $55k Sing dollar. And for $55k sing in Singapore, we can only use the car for 10 years. After 10 years, we have to pay another amount of money (COE by bidding depends on market rate by then) at least $10-20K sing dollar to be able to reuse or continue using for another 10 years.

We need to pay abt 270% tax to buy a car. Meaning, if the car is $10KUS, we have to pay another $27K tax to the government. Then we have to buy a COE (car ownership entitlement cert) which allow us to drive the car for 10 years. The purchase COE is by bidding system (2 times eveyr month), it used to be $100+k for 10 years COE back in 1990s (a simple Honda Civic or Honda Acura usa called it can cost abt $80-90US dollar in total majority which goes to tax), but recent 3-4 years, it had dropped to $10-20K COE price. My COE is abt $15k US. My aveo is abt $6-7k US when I bought it. OMV of $9k sing.

On top of all these taxes, we have to pay yearly insurance abt $1.5k US insurance and $600US (for 1.6 liters and below) yearly road tax to continue using the car.

Parking fee is also abt $60-200US depending on where you stay per month.

Using congested road, we have Electronic Road Pricing which a device deduct money from a cash card, each time we past by the gantry during peak hours can be $2-3 dollars US. Sometimes we have to pass by 5-6 gantries to go to work.

Petrol is abt $1.50 US dollar for 98 octance.

So how is it compared to US? Haha...

Thats the reason why we can afford to throw so many modification worth so much money into the car, because we only owns one car only and changing car in singapore is expensive. So people tends to take tender loving care for their cars, using top quality engine oil and quality parts for the cars.

Hope I gave you a good intro to Singapore.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast