•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Transmission

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i was counting the gears once too and it felt like five shifts...what your saying is the last one is the converter locking up?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Yes, last subtle "shift" is the torque converter lockup. Don't you have a tach even with the auto? rpms should drop ~200 rpm when the converter locks up vs the 1000-1500 rpm drop in between real gears. If you can't do it by feel, you can always look at the tach and counts how many times it shifts there, or do it manually with the lock feature. You just have no real control over the lockup cuz it's ECU controlled. It basically checks if you're more or less cruising at constant speed and if so, it'll lock it.
      Some 4-speed autos with a hold at 3rd can lock the converter in 3rd. Since I don't know the Aisin tranny for the aveo, I don't know if it can...

On my old 89 Civic, I was able to de-lock the converter by pulling back on the shifter very slightly. If I didn't accelerate, it would lock back up after a few seconds... but it saved a few seconds when you had to accelerate a bit to pass by pre-unlocking instead of just pressing down more on the accel to have the ECU take a while to decide "oh, he wants to speed up, I guess I'll unlock the converter..."

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      i just hit the HOLD button and hit the gas and i'm cool i know that they say i have a 4 speed but it's a 3 speed with overdrive and the hold button works fine to pass cars on the freeway.
      You did WHAT? to your Aveo? HAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by mtlswift
      Yes, last subtle "shift" is the torque converter lockup. Don't you have a tach even with the auto? rpms should drop ~200 rpm when the converter locks up vs the 1000-1500 rpm drop in between real gears.
      On my car though the "5th" gear drops about 800-1000 RPM's.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      On mine (04 auto) the "torque lock" seems to happen between 2nd and 3rd (IIRC). So the 5th RPM drop you feel is probably the real shift from 3rd to 4th.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Doesn't matter what gear you are in, at a certain speed the converter locks up, at around 50-60kph IIRC Unless you have your foot down to the floor that is.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by pqaveo
      On mine (04 auto) the "torque lock" seems to happen between 2nd and 3rd (IIRC). So the 5th RPM drop you feel is probably the real shift from 3rd to 4th.

My '07 LS hatch is also AT. This had been also a debate among some of my buddies with Aveo's, Since we do it in km/h here, usually at:

2000rpm=60km/hr on the "4th drop"
      2000rpm=80km/hr on the "5th drop"

so this would mean that the last two "drops" are real gear shifts, so the "torque lock" happens anytime before 60km/hr. All the while i thought it was really 5 speed.
      "The best way to deal with sleepiness is to sleep"

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Re:

Quote Originally Posted by herbolero
      Quote Originally Posted by pqaveo

My '07 LS hatch is also AT. This had been also a debate among some of my buddies with Aveo's, Since we do it in km/h here, usually at:

2000rpm=60km/hr on the "4th drop"
      2000rpm=80km/hr on the "5th drop"

so this would mean that the last two "drops" are real gear shifts, so the "torque lock" happens anytime before 60km/hr. All the while i thought it was really 5 speed.
      I refer you to this post: http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=49&t=27350

It explains when and why the tranny shifts as it does and why it gets lousy MPG in city driving, but wonderful MPG (37 MPG at 65 MPH) after it is in converter lockup at 45 MPH. GM has programmed the TC lockup to act like a fifth gear.

But it ain't. It's a four-speed with a TCM program that can't be changed. GM put one over on us urban dwellers. If your driving is exclusively in city/local traffic, the FE sucks and you can't change it, no matter how you drive it. This car was designed to be pitched to and sold in rural America (or Canada, or worldwide). If you never do any city driving (under 45 MPH) it will be a wonderful car for you. If not, you're screwed, because it's a gas hog in the lower gears.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Automatic Transmission

I wouldn't call it a gas hog... 20 MPG in city is still not that bad... Some cars I've driven had around 12 MPG in city and 22 MPG on highway on a very good day with only me in the car...
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Automatic Transmission

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      I wouldn't call it a gas hog... 20 MPG in city is still not that bad... Some cars I've driven had around 12 MPG in city and 22 MPG on highway on a very good day with only me in the car...
      "Not that bad" Compared to what?

My '99 Celica has a 2.2 liter engine, has much better acceleration, is much more fun to drive and is a heavier car. It gets the same city MPG as the Aveo. But the transmission control module was programmed by Toyota, not GM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast