•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: auto trans shift lock

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I had them fix it when I took it in to get the timing belt replaced. I'm pretty sure they replaced the whole shifter mechanism because there's a new shift knob and I can't figure how how to take this one off and put the metal one I bought back on

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      how much did it cost you, mines gone now as well and the brake lights arent working because of it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      The shifter was covered by my warranty. I had to pay labor obviously, and the deductible on my warranty, but everything past that was covered. I can go look for the receipt and check the actual cost (not what I ended up paying) if you want.

Shift Lock

This just happened to me (2004 LS still under warranty) and the dealership said its a bad solenoid that controls the shift lock. Just have to use the shift lock release until the shop appointment. It appears to be a fairly common problem. Instructions for using the bypass are in the owner's manual if you have one.

Me too -- Me too -- Me too

I drove my 2005 Aveo off the showroom floor 2 years ago. I have really had no problems to speak of... until this past june. As soon as the heat rose... the shift lock stuck. Sometimes it does it... sometimes not. It's a crap shoot as to whether I need 2 people to get it out of park or not. (Kind of hard to depress the break.... push the shifter down to shift AND stick a damn key in the tiny hole to release the bugger. Took it to the shop... you guessed it.. "Could not duplicate the problem" SO I have decided the tech can meet me in the drop off area at my next appt and I KNOW it will do it out there.... I will let you all know the results... But I do LOVE my aveo... (she's a little tough to handle on the snow.. not enough weight behind the tires... but other than that -- She's PERFECT!!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      My 05 Aveo5 LT is having this issue, I'll have them look at it when I take it in for the next oil change. I miss being able to change my own oil.

Ryan
      Quote Originally Posted by thebarber
      if you cant take a joke, dont be one.
      Quote Originally Posted by y2daniel1981
      ah yes... the ricer scale.
      1 ricer = 3 vin diesel
      1 vin diesel = 2 paul walker
      4 paul walker = 1hp

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Sorry to dig up an old thread but I believe I have the same problem reported in this thread. I cannot get out of park and my brake lights are non-functional. Can someone from this thread comeback and enlighten me on the problem? Was it the brake switch or the shift lock solenoid? How much were you charged? I've misplaced my manual, you just have to stick a key in that shift lock release slot to disengage the shift lock?

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

JustAGuy

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I haven't experienced the problem (I have the 5spd), but I believe the problem was indeed the bake switch. No idea about parts/labor, though.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Yep, it's the brake light switch; $9.99 at Pep Boys. Unplug the pigtail from the old one, quarter twist counter-clockwise, pop in the new one and plug it in. Now I have brake lights and can shift out of Park without sticking the key in the slot. Three minutes, tops. If I can do it, anyone can. Move the seat all the way back, recline it as far as it will go, and tilt the steering all the way up. Slide in upside down under the dash. Take a flashlight. I have no idea what the Chevy dealer would charge, but when you consider they wanted $167 to replace the serpentine belt, you can guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12