•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: auto trans shift lock

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

auto trans shift lock

Okay, so for the past week or two, I've been needing to use my shift lock release to get my transmission out of park. Anyone know if there is an easy fix for this? I'm bringing my car to the dealership next week anyway to get the timing belt replaced, but if I don't have to spend the extra money on this, I don't want to.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Huh? You mean you have to push the button on the shifter? I thought you had to do that all the time to get out of P.

Thanks
      To get it out of park, you have to push down on the shifter. I know that. I've had the thing since May. There is also a little slot forward and to the left of the shifter called the "shift lock release". Lately, I've been having to use this to get my car out of park. It's quite a pain.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      That button just holds the current gear, you shouldn't have to press it at all. If it's depressed, press it again and leave it alone. Otherwise its a tranny problem and they have a multitude of parts in comparison to a manual. Take it to the dealer if under warrenty.

Thanks
      I wasn't talking about the "hold" button. If mtlswift was, then I misread his post. Either way, the "hold" button is not the problem. I'm outside of the factory warranty, but still within my 100,000mi extended warranty.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Then it's a powertrain issue that is under warranty. Take it in.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

So many dumb people out there. the guy is talking about the shifter release when you press the brake pedal it unlocks the Parking gear so you can shift it into a gear. Shame I don;t even have the automatic and I still knew what he was talking about. Check your switch on the brake pedal I bet it's bad, or the solenoid on the shifter housing is bad.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Brian5475E
      So many dumb people out there. the guy is talking about the shifter release when you press the brake pedal it unlocks the Parking gear so you can shift it into a gear. Shame I don;t even have the automatic and I still knew what he was talking about. Check your switch on the brake pedal I bet it's bad, or the solenoid on the shifter housing is bad.
      I didn't even think about the brake switch. Great suggestion. I'm bringing it in to get the timing belt replaced anyway, but I'll tell them to look at that before they go messing with the transmission. Thanks!

i had this exact same problem about a month ago. its a broken linkage in the shifter. the dealership will repair it no problem. they say theyve had the same problem with some of the cobalts because the linkage is a plastic piece subject to breaking, locking up your shifter unless you use the shift unlock thing. they put a steel linkage piece. this is just what they told me, whether or not it makes sense.

Thanks
      we had the same issue with a honda accord, the shift lock solinoid is right under the realease. if you take off the panel you will see it. most of the time this will go bad before the one under the brake. and there ****ing expensive. at least they are for a honda. anyways for the honda i just ended up taking it out, so i could still use the shifter with no brake i dont think it is the safeist idea, but hey we dident have the money at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast