•  

Thread: Which ATF do I use?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Which ATF do I use?

2005 A/T; Planning on changing the ATF Monday, I’m totally at a loss though with what people are saying in the previous threads I searched.

My manual says “use only t-iv” but one post I read here said that t-iv wasn’t a thing when my car was being built, that an 05 should use dex iii, but I would assume I should go by my manual, right?

Also planning on flushing the power steering. It calls for dex iii and I was also going to go by the book for that unless there is something better or backwards compatible for that as well?

What fluids and brands do the experts here recommend I use?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Cursive559 View Post
      2005 A/T; Planning on changing the ATF Monday, I’m totally at a loss though with what people are saying in the previous threads I searched.

My manual says “use only t-iv” but one post I read here said that t-iv wasn’t a thing when my car was being built, that an 05 should use dex iii, but I would assume I should go by my manual, right?

Also planning on flushing the power steering. It calls for dex iii and I was also going to go by the book for that unless there is something better or backwards compatible for that as well?

What fluids and brands do the experts here recommend I use?

You can use either T-IV or Dexron iii. They (T-IV and Dexron iii) are basically the same. They are both a "higher" viscosity ATF, and not a lower viscosity ATF like Dexron VI or Toyota WS. Some people might wonder why GM didn't spec Dexron iii for the Aveo in the first place. I think it may be because GM let all Dexron iii licenses expire when they introduced Dexron VI, and they didn't want people to automatically use the lower viscosity Dexron VI. Personally, I would be confortable using any well known Dexron iii, T-IV, or D/M AFT in an Aveo.

Deano

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Castrol Transmax Multi-Import Transmission Fluid is recommended for use in TI-V applications. Been using it for 3 years now in my 2004 Aveo.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Cursive559 View Post

T-IV fluid was introduced by Toyota in 1998, so it was definitely a thing when the Aveo was produced. You can find Idemitsu T-IV at Advance Auto Parts; that's your best bet instead of using some "fits-all" stuff.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bondojamesbondo View Post
      T-IV fluid was introduced by Toyota in 1998, so it was definitely a thing when the Aveo was produced. You can find Idemitsu T-IV at Advance Auto Parts; that's your best bet instead of using some "fits-all" stuff.

I found Toyota T-IV at Toyota. Comes in a 4 litre metal can. Made for the Japanese transmission.