Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Anyone use premium gasoline?

Wonder if it would run better, and cleaner too

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      This may be an older topic, but i need to add my 2 cents LOL. When I run regular unleaded in my Aveo, I average 28mpg, (mostly city driving) when I run premium unleaded, I average 32mpg an extra 40 miles of driving to me is worth the $1.50 to $2.00 fill up difference. Back in the day, when I was a Lincoln Tech student, we had a homework assignment to go to a gas station and obtain a sample of gas, over the time frame of 2 weeks, everyones samples had a chance to settle. their were huge differences between Gas stations, most big names were better than smaller names. Im in Texas, we had several samples from multiple racetrac locations through out dallas and Fort Worth, from 6 or 7 racetrac samples, their were all about 35 percent water and all had debris floating in it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i'll post in the zombie thread.

it is likely the switch octanes of the crap you/we all call "gas" will increase mpg. But it is not the Octane change that increases fuel mileage. It is most like the amount of ethanol in the gas. You see those pumps that say up to 10%? well regular most likely has the 10%, where as premium might only have 8% Super might have 6% .(regional names? 87, 89, 91ish respectively). ethanol is not as fuel efficient as gas is. So if you run 100% true fuel, then the mpg wont change with octane changes. but the displacement of the ethanol will..

How ever at the same time you risk having unburned fuel into the exhaust, eventually clogging your cat and seizing the engine. You might pick up timing issues. The added octane does not burn the ethanol more efficiently.. its just there possibly is less there.
      If you find a gas station that uses the same amount of ethanol in every grade of fuel. you will see the same fuel mileage.

The best thing to do would be find a filling station that does not add ethanol, and buy their 87 octane. It would probably provide the BEST fuel economy, but good luck with that i think when gas prices went over $3 a gallon, ethanol got put into everything.

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      i'll post in the zombie thread.

it is likely the switch octanes of the crap you/we all call "gas" will increase mpg. But it is not the Octane change that increases fuel mileage. It is most like the amount of ethanol in the gas. You see those pumps that say up to 10%? well regular most likely has the 10%, where as premium might only have 8% Super might have 6% .(regional names? 87, 89, 91ish respectively). ethanol is not as fuel efficient as gas is. So if you run 100% true fuel, then the mpg wont change with octane changes. but the displacement of the ethanol will..

How ever at the same time you risk having unburned fuel into the exhaust, eventually clogging your cat and seizing the engine. You might pick up timing issues. The added octane does not burn the ethanol more efficiently.. its just there possibly is less there.
      If you find a gas station that uses the same amount of ethanol in every grade of fuel. you will see the same fuel mileage.

The best thing to do would be find a filling station that does not add ethanol, and buy their 87 octane. It would probably provide the BEST fuel economy, but good luck with that i think when gas prices went over $3 a gallon, ethanol got put into everything.
      The city where I live has 1 gas station that does not use ethanol, this is the only gas station I go to, I have used this same station since I bought my aveo 2 and a half years ago. if I use the reg unleaded I get 28mpg, (city) and when I use super I get 32mpg (city)

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      My area's last non-ethanol station just gave in to regulations. I noticed a 2mpg increase switching to the non-eth stuff. (reg 87 octane always) I never use anything but the motor was designed for [87]. If I want to think I'm cleaning the engine with fuel than I stop at a Mobil, who 'advertises' all that detergent hoopla.

My monza on the other hand has had a compression increase from 8.4 to1 to 9.5 to 1, (flat top pistons) among other changes to the timing curve, cam, and intake.
      Running anything less than 93 octane will induce a slight rattle..(detonation) the way I have the timing curve set now.

Please keep on running it in your aveo's.....it will ad an easy 10hp and keep you faster than Yaris's & Fit's. Your engines will be cleaner and last longer too. (And keep it readily available for the few cars that actually need it)

Thanks
      sure is zombie/rice up in here

and monzaveo, you gain over 50hp, get it right next time

Thanks

Question

Okay, my turn to reawaken the ancient thread

I've recently been experiencing some sudden stalls: there have been incidents when the RPMs randomly drop below 1000 so even while the car is running on neutral the engine stops, which is most dangerous if I'm making a turn on neutral gear as the steering wheel locks. Yesterday I had the car checked so the mechanics cleaned the air filter, the "throttle body' and the "idle sensor", which accordingly was the source of the problem being extremely dirty somehow. It so happened that one "chief" mechanic from the Chevrolet HQ, Philippines, was present. He strongly recommended that I switch to high octane gas, preferably premium, insisting from experience that regular unleaded could be a contributor to the problem. Here in the Philippines, gas stations usually offer super unleaded (simply referred to here as "unleaded") at 91 octane rating and premium unleaded at 93/95 octane rating; other gas stations situated at highways offer regular unleaded at 87 and I believe some Shell gas stations offer something at 97, if I'm not mistaken...

So, whatcha guys think?

btw, it's a 1.4L 2007 Aveo LT Sedan

Thanks
      Its not the gas, you may need to do a tune-up, or clean out your TB and replace a sensor or two on the TB, a good amount of people hzve this issue.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      I was next to a ford today that was firing on maybe 5 cylinders of 6. made quite the interesting tone.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      is that ron or (r+m)/2? fuel rating?

premium fuel should not be the problem "suddenly" is the 1.4 a 16v? what kind of ignition? how many miles do you have?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast