•  

Thread: Airbox Funnel

Airbox Funnel

I just removed the stock airbox to clean it and saw that there was a funnel like tube in the top half that draws from the lower left corner of the airbox and reduces the output hole from 2.25" to 2" and was wondering if there is a purpose for this tube or if it is just a point of restriction to the air flow?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i think it's just a restriction

ive been running a cone filter for about two weeks, and just got around to removing that box about two hours ago. i think if you have a SRI or a cone filter, if you dont remove that lower intake box youre KILLING your performance, and your gas mileage because youre doing nothing but drawing the warm air from the engine bay. if you dont remove it the stock intake box is more effective than an SRI because at least it is drawing air more directly from outside the engine bay.

the cone filter is working good but i want better so im buying an red aluminum integra GSR CAI kit to custom make a Aveo CAI this weekend

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      i dont think the air has enough time to heat up when its being sucked into the intake, thats a misconception...

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      ok the last two comments I think are off base, but whatever.

The piece you are talking about is a restriction, but I believe it's there to quiet the intake. Run with it and run without it to see if there is any difference. I suspect you will pick up some noise. The intake going from the fender to the airbox muffler to the airbox is 2". I have taken out the airbox muffler in the fender and enlarged the airbox opening to 2.5" using a hole saw. I'm still able to draw air from the fender and use factory filters and it even looks stock even though I get a good sound and improved intake.

i noticed a HUGE change today. the past weeks it has been taking me about 1/8 of a tank to get to work and back everyday, and the gas meter hardly even moved today. also the acceleration seems to pick up enough to make it a little noticable.