•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add. To My Timing Belt Replacement Post....MPG Issue Question.....

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Add. To My Timing Belt Replacement Post....MPG Issue Question.....

I forgot to ask, in my post last night, about my finally getting my timing belt kit replaced. As anyone who has read my old posts knows, the MPG on my car since the day I bought it has sucked!! I NEVER get more than 19MPG, all city driving. The dealer couldn't fix it, at all, during my 3 yr warranty. All I ever got as an answer from them was,...'you don't drive it enough, so it is running rich.' Well I wanted to know. Is there ANY chance that having my timing belt and all the other parts replaced, with new, (even though it was new when I bought it, of course), could it have been 'set wrong' from the factory?? And the timing was off all these years, causing it to give me horrible mileage?

I was on totally empty before I had the kit put in, so I filled up yesterday, and my mileage was 16!! The lowest ever!! I won't know for weeks, if my mileage improves or not. But I wondered if the timing was off...that the ever so important 'variable valve timing', was not set right??

I can drive like a little old lady, or like a ricer, and I get 19mpg. But this 16mpg was a big shock yesterday. I filled it up from next to dry. I never do that usually, but I was getting this done, so I put off filling it up, till I had it done, just for this purpose...to see IF my MPG goes UP, after the repair. Is there any chance this will raise my mileage? Or is that not possible? Anyone know?

Thanks
      If it was set wrong from the factory, it would have been caught. The car will run horribly (ask me how I know haha), or not run at all.

So, unfortunately, I wouldn't look forward to better fuel economy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (10-26-2017)

Thanks
      Bummer. Was hoping I'd get 30+ mileage now. FINALLY! Getting the mileage that a new full size truck gets, in this tiny car, stinks! I traded in a 2004 3.0L Ranger that was getting 19mpg, when the first 'gas crisis' hit, and gas went to over $4 a gallon. I traded it in on the Aveo.
      Thought I'd get 30++ in my city driving. Could have kept my Ranger Edge, and its Chrome Yellow paint color is now a 'collectors' color. VERY hard to get/find. And with the way i take care of my cars/trucks, it would have barely 50K miles on it now and worth a hell of a lot more. Oh well......

It runs great so far. I will give it a week of highway/city driving, to make sure it still runs as smooth as it is, before I leave this garage a positive review on Yelp. I like to do that for good work. I also leave BAD reviews for crappy work
      Last edited by FlaAveo5; 10-26-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks
      Believe it or not, i am surprised...my mileage has gone UP by almost 4 mpg! I'll check it again on his next refill, but it went up to a huge 23.4mpg. For this car THAT is huge!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FlaAveo5 For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-01-2017)

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      When was the last time you did a "tune up"?

Replace the spark plugs (make sure to gap them correctly), plug wires, air filter. Clean out the throttle body. Run some fuel injector cleaner through your gas tank. Seafoam the engine through the brake booster line. And take the lead out out your right shoe!
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to slayerized6 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (11-03-2017)

Thanks
      Thats great to hear. I'm glad I was wrong.

Thanks
      dont know if it is a fluke, or i cant add right, but tonight i have 99miles on the car, and it is at 1/4 of a tank used! i am in total shock. My luck the gage is broken
      Last edited by FlaAveo5; 11-03-2017 at 12:30 PM.

AVEO OWNER
      Thanks
      I hope your mileage has improved, it seems like it has. I only get about 31 MPG in my '04 Aveo, and it's all highway driving with little stop and go traffic. Mine is a 5 speed sedan, and I thought when I got it I would get better mileage also, but it just doesn't happen. I had a 3 cylinder Metro for several years and it honestly got about 42 MPG. Not to be nosy, but if you don't mind sharing, what is the approx. cost to have the timing belt replaced? Thank You. I have had mine done two times and I think I paid too much to have it done, but not sure since I don't personally know any other Aveo owners.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to glen1 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (11-03-2017)

Thanks
      Your not being nosy..i posted the price on here in a timing bel post, last week, when i had it done. I guess you just missed it. I am TOLD that it varies state to state..and here in south Fla. it is VERY expensive. Compared to the rest of the country. I paid $771, for a Continental kit, it was $223 on the bill, online it runs around $156 but it needs the 3 seals that dont come with it that you need. But they are all of $4 to get. The rest was labor cost. IF yuo are a gearhead and know how to work on your car, I am told it is a 2-3 hr job and 'its so easy to do, just take your time'...but I have no tools,or floor jacks, to life the engine, let alone trust myself to do THIS big of an engine job.

The Continental kit has the most parts in the kit. Seals, 2 tensioners, and some other tiny parts. Not just a belt and water pump. It has a 2 yr warranty as well! And I got a 2 year warranty on the labor from the mechanic/garage that did the job. I have never heard of a 2 year warranty for any car repair.

My timing belt lasted for 11 yrs, and i have the old one, it LOOKS new still. But as everyone told me, it can look new and still snap at any second. I also only have 39K miles on it, its all city driving, and I drove it like a 'little old lady', constantly worried the belt would snap at any moment, for the past 5 years!!!! But here in south Fla. it is SO hot, and the belt was 11 yrs old, so it is in a super hot engine compartment, fo all that time, and rubber only lasts so long. When did you have your replaced? what mileage....2 times? You must have a lot of miles on your Aveo??? Hope that helps. People on here have criticized me that I paid WAY to much. BUT it was professional done, and I have a 2 year warranty on parts and labor. But I searched for 5 years for the lowest price, using the Continental kit, and it ranged from my $675, 2 years ago, it went up to $690 plus taxes. To $1,300 at Chevy!!! But most other garages all wanted over $900. So I am happy I have it done, and with the little I drive, it is the last time I am doing it! But i'd like to know about your replacements, if you care to tell me.

Thanks
      i do that yearly. I put in the new plugs, Bosch 4 point platinums, and replace the filters, etc, ....but nothing helps get more than 19mpg. And i WISH i had a lead foot. I have always driven like a 'little old lady'....and glide to stops, no jack rabbit starts...but now i am DRIVING it to see how it handles now!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast