•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Timing Belt Replacement

Thanks

2009 Timing Belt Replacement

Can anyone give some tips on replacing the timimg belt?
      The manual says that I have to use special tools
      • J 42492-A (KM-421-A) Timing Belt Adjuster
      • J 45059 Angle Meter
      • KM-470-B Angular Torque Gage

Can this job be done without these tools?
      They are very expensive.
      Where can I rent tools like this?

Thanks
      Does anyone know where I can find step by step instructions on replacing the timing belt, idler pulley, tensioner, and water pump?
      My dealer wants $1,000 to do the job. I've done this type of work before on other vehicles so I think I can get r done with the right manual. Also, my dealer mentioned there are belt guides that may need to be replaced. Not sure what they look like or if it really may need to be replaced. The dealer may just be looking for more money.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I don't know the answer but will be following this post as well. Is there an inspection window?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Having no experience with a 2009, I took a look at these "specialty" tools. The first link from a Google search for "J 42492-A (KM-421-A) Timing Belt Adjuster" got me to the website for an outfit called Automotive Specialty Tools. The water pump wrench they're selling for $137.76 makes me want to puke. I bought the same basic tool through Amazon, and it's currently selling there for $14.37. I didn't look up the "Angle meter" and "Angular Torque Gauge", but they are almost certainly being specified to do the final steps in torquing the crank pulley bolt. I used angle marks hand-drawn on the crank bolt and pulley, and believe that's the common DIY method (except for the guys who use an impact gun and torque it to who-knows-what).
      The DIYs and related information that I'm aware of on the web for doing the timing belt job applies to '04-'08 1.6L Aveos. I see a different timing belt kit part number listed for the '09, so it's almost certain there is one or more differences with the TB job on that versus the earlier years. Perhaps someone who has actually done an '09 TB job can describe what they did.
      Charging $1000 for this job is just true-blue stealership.

Thanks
      I priced the work out at another dealer who wants $1800.00! Ridiculous.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Having no experience with a 2009, I took a look at these "specialty" tools. The first link from a Google search for "J 42492-A (KM-421-A) Timing Belt Adjuster" got me to the website for an outfit called Automotive Specialty Tools. The water pump wrench they're selling for $137.76 makes me want to puke. I bought the same basic tool through Amazon, and it's currently selling there for $14.37. I didn't look up the "Angle meter" and "Angular Torque Gauge", but they are almost certainly being specified to do the final steps in torquing the crank pulley bolt. I used angle marks hand-drawn on the crank bolt and pulley, and believe that's the common DIY method (except for the guys who use an impact gun and torque it to who-knows-what).
      The DIYs and related information that I'm aware of on the web for doing the timing belt job applies to '04-'08 1.6L Aveos. I see a different timing belt kit part number listed for the '09, so it's almost certain there is one or more differences with the TB job on that versus the earlier years. Perhaps someone who has actually done an '09 TB job can describe what they did.
      Charging $1000 for this job is just true-blue stealership.
      Having had a look at the service manual for the timing belt, it seems to be a fairly laborous job. The way the car is designed, you must remove the motor mount to get full access to the timing belt, from what I can tell.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      I provided a PDF of timing belt replacement instructions for the 2009 Aveo in this link here:
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1D...it?usp=sharing

I've also provided the instructions in the "refer to" section.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      ....also if needed is the info for ignition coil removal/replacement and the air assembly removal in this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1D...it?usp=sharing

GOOD LUCK and hopefully you can post step by step instructions with pictures just like the ones for the 1st gen Aveo's.
      Last edited by Aveo5_boy; 05-22-2014 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks
      Awesome info Aveo5_boy. So where can I get a manual like this for the entire vehicle?
      I will probably do the job sometime within the next month. I need to locate parts and special tools first. I also need to fix a busted floor jack. When I do the job, I will defiantly take pictures and post them here.

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      If you are that nervous try to find a mom and pop shop to do it. Some place where the labor rate is not $100 an hour.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast