•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Chevy Aveo Oil Leak

What's wrong with my car? Aveo09Evy's Avatar
      Thanks

Angry 2009 Chevy Aveo Oil Leak

We have a 2009 Aveo with 70422 miles on it...

The car has been having a slow oil leak for over a month now. Took it to the mechanic and was told we needed a new oil pan filter. Bought it and took it back then was told that we didn't need that that we only needed a oil filter. Come on so my boyfriend get all the stuff for an oil change (since he is so picky and only use a certain brand of oil). Drain oil, and put in a new oil filter.. The mechanic didn't know if the ring that comes with the filter should be put on or not. But he did put it on. So he got paid.. Me and my boyfriend drive off and not even 5 blocks away there is oil every where. Had to park the car because it was smoking so bad. Called the mechanic to come to where the car was parked and he told us that they are going to take the ring off.. Car drove good for about 2 days and then it started leaking some more.. I was told by another mechanic that we need an oil filter housing but every where we go no one has a clue what we are talking about.. Come on already I can't keep paying mechanic after mechanic for fixing the same issue.

Can someone in here give me a clue on what it can be my boyfriend had cleaned the car and when checked again the oil was coming out from where the oil filter goes. I need to fix this because I am so scared to keep driving the car if it keeps leaking maybe one day it will get so bad..

Name:  IMG_20130912_114707.jpg
Views: 18767
Size:  265.4 KB

In order to stop the leak my boyfriend has but gasket sealer all over the edge of cap..

Already changed the oil gasket, oil pan gasket and the oil filter

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      This is a wild guess but did u check the threads on the top- its plastic, and if someone torques the hell out of it it will strip. The little black rubber ring that comes with every filter doesn t have to be change.d each oil change-Im on my second ring since I bought my 09 new. If you need a new filter housing Id be surprised it appears to be a cast piece n looks pretty tough. Just trying to offer another perspective lets see what the others say...

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Man View Post
      This is a wild guess but did u check the threads on the top- its plastic, and if someone torques the hell out of it it will strip. The little black rubber ring that comes with every filter doesn t have to be change.d each oil change-Im on my second ring since I bought my 09 new. If you need a new filter housing Id be surprised it appears to be a cast piece n looks pretty tough. Just trying to offer another perspective lets see what the others say...
      Everything you just said. I'd try just replacing the cap... shouldn't be expensive at the dealer

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i replace my o ring every time, its usually flat when i take it off, and it comes free with the filter. so why not?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I'm having the same problem with my 2010!!!! Did replacing the cap help?

Thanks
      No it wasn't just the cap I ended up spending $300 to fix the issue.. It had to do with something under the car they went through hell because it took 5 hours to do.. It was a pan that was under some pipe.. Sorry can't be more specific a week after I fixed the car I ended up trading it in.. I was told that Aveos once they got to 70,000 miles the timing belt goes out. And the dealer wanted an arm and a leg to fix it..

So if you have any more issues please keep looking in here this forum has been very helpful..

Now I am a proud owner of a 2014 Chevy Cruze.. Gotta stay with Chevy...lol

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      the 2014 cruze has the "same" engine your 09 aveo had. The timing belt "issue" is on 08 and prior engines, and the timing belt is only an arm and a leg if it breaks. which it should not if you replaced it at 60k miles like required.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Currently having the same problem. I bought every possible gasket/fitting that goes between the block n oil cap including those for the coolant pipe that runs across.May as well replace everything while Im in there. Weather permitting, I will do in the next few days and let u guys know what failed as this could be common in higher mileage aveos with the ECOtec

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      My 2010's cap was just replaced. They'll dry out eventually. They sit so close to the exhaust manifold.

Thanks
      Idid change all gaskets, rings and anything you could think of including the cap. I had to take it into a mechanic and it was some pan that was under some pipe that was hard to reach..
      I hope you have better luck with yours then I did..

SO RIGHT NOW I AM A PROUD OWNER OF A
      2014 CHEVY MALIBU
      I had to get rid of my 2014 CHEVY CRUZE 2 weeks after I got that car it ended up in the shop for a month it had a short in the wiring and burnt out my fuse box, fan and more.. For the 10 months I had it my car was in the shop more then I drove it..

But I am a die hard Chevy fan that I trusted them enough to get another Chevy..

Had my LIL RED HOOKER (2009 Chevy Aveo)
      Now I own my Silver "SILVER BULLET" (2014 Chevy Malibu)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast