•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 Aveo Manual Transmission Won’t Stop LEAKING! (Pls Help!)

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      $1600 for a brand new gearbox isn’t as brutal as I would have thought. Yes, my PDF service manual references the Y4M. I’m currently talking to a local gear shop right now that is highly rated and suggested. He gave me a quote so far of 400 something for labor (if I bring the trans to him), and is currently looking up to see if he can get his hands on the bearings. Lets see what he is able to come up with.

Thanks
      Could you send me the link for that transmission at $1600? I will consider that as Plan B if the gear shop isn’t able to get their hands on the differential bearings.

Thanks

Thanks
      Name:  3E76B1CF-3515-4143-82C5-BC460620A573.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  298.4 KBSorry about the delay, I'll be back on tomorrow! I had to do brakes on my Roadtrek.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by Houdoxi71; 10-08-2020 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Horrible phone typing/pic

Thanks
      Thank you Houdoxi. I’m now getting ready to remove the transmission from the Aveo. Planning to pick up a transmission jack before starting. Is there anything unique to these Aveo’s when it comes to removing the transmission? It looks like there’s enough clearance down there to move it out without having to tilt the engine, but I guess I’ll know as I get further into it.

Thanks
      Name:  FB919836-7F97-4A65-B52B-B644D981800B.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  288.8 KBName:  96C08AA3-2CE0-4B64-B4A1-94AA0CFED988.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  288.9 KB

Ended up yanking the trans. Will be replacing the Diff bearins later in the coming week. Thanks again for all the help!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Diff Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Houdoxi71 View Post
      You would have to verify fitment by matching the RPO code in the glovebox for the manual trans, and have the seller confirm it, but, most junkyards do not keep that info on hand for used parts, they just list make/model/year, GM is also notorious for having multiple part #'s and revisions for the same thing, and none of the Aveo models were actually built by GM, but by Daewoo further complicating the actual #'s...

However.... I looked at a GM part online site and came up with only ONE manual trans for all Aveo/Aveo5/G3/Wave 2005-11:
      RPO: Y4M
      GM part #: 96957196 @ $1,600.00 (This is a replacement part #, not the same indexing system used for parts on a production line)

So it appears that any manual from a 2005-11 would work, as long as it is for a US/Can car. If the bearings can't be replaced (in my searching I was unable to find service parts for the box itself, only a new unit, I would consult a shop that has verifiable experience with manual boxes before taking it to them), then the lowest mileage box not crying oil out from the seals would be the only option, well beside that fancy new $1,600 unit...

The bearings can be replaced, of this I am sure, finding out what bearing size/type they are and removing the gearsets to access them would be the hardest part. In other words, if you can find a good local shop willing (key word) to do the work, it may be gone for a week or two while they wait on parts. But places like AAMCO/Goodyear service centers will only replace the entire unit, contrary to popular opinion, neither operation rebuilds one single part. They just swap 'em out!
      I replaced the diff bearings in my 2007 Aveo5. I replaced the clutch somewhere past 300,000 miles. When I did, I replaced all bearings and gaskets. RockAuto.com lists the bearings. I had to pull the third member out of the trans to get to them out. BTW, they where a PITA to get off of the third member. I ended up trying 3 different gearpullers. In the end I used on that I had to cut the tongs down on. I then used a press to press the bearings onto the thirdmember. The races went in pretty easy, just a little tricky to torque down. I didn't have the OEM guage and tool. I just used a large screwdriver and tightened as tight as i could get.

I find it hard to believe the bearings are bad @ 80k. BTW buy the Redline MT fluid. It is synthetic. Much cheaper than the GM fluid and the trans mission really seemed smoother with it.

Good luck.

Thanks
      Thanks for the note. On the D16 transmission for my 2009 there were 2 differential bearings. The GM bearing puller tool costs $100. I took the differential to a machine shop to have them replaced for much cheaper. I noticed some pitting on the spider gears and will be replacing them as well. I know the mileage is low for bearings, but the transmission is leaking and this is the only thing I havent ruled out yet.

Could you post the link of where to buy that Redline Fluid? Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12