•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Aveo to get and ECOTEC

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2009 Aveo to get and ECOTEC

Aveo to get an ECOTEC!!!

Confirmed by Motor Trend and Chevrolet dealership sales literature, the 2009 Chevrolet Aveo and Aveo5 are to get an all new 1.6 liter ECOTEC inline 4 with aluminum block and head and variable valve timing. This new powerplant will have a slight boost in horsepower to 107 bhp, over the old E-TEC II's 103 bhp, and will have an EPA estimated 34 miles per gallon highway.

People, ECOTEC engines have proven themselves in terms of durability, smoothness, and fuel economy in many of GM's other vehicles, but the biggest thing here is the widened opportunities for tuning. The choices for modifying the E-TEC II seem pretty slim, but this new mill should give the aftermarket and GM parts departments plenty to keep them busy.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and any technical pieces you can share on this engine.

It's not the size that counts, it's how you handle it!

2007 Chevy Aveo LS

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: 2009 Aveo to get and ECOTEC

yeah!!! i think. i'm not sure. I want the 09 hatchback!!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Really the 09's r gettin an ECOTEC, i thought it was the same e-tec II, and the guy at the auto show that was in the chevy booth said they were not changin the engines, but he did hint at they were going to give u an option in 2010 where u can either pick the 1.6L with 107hp, or a 1.8L with around 130hp

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

The ECOTEC 1.8L can be found in the Saturn Astra... Apparently it just drops in the Aveo. If it does, then an engine swap would be really easy. Giggidy Giggidy!
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

The ECOTEC would be a great engine for both the Aveo and Aveo 5 because it does seem to have much more power. My 06 Cobalt was a screamer, even as it was an LS model. the 2.2 was fantastic.
      I would be all about the ECOTECH for the Aveo.
      Modders will love it a well. There are great mods for the Ecotec engines. Turbos, Superchargers, and such that would make the Aveo one speedy machine. Not to mention, I remember my Cobalt being pretty hot on the gas mileage.
      4 wheels, 4 doors, 4 cylinders, 8 speakers, and 1 loose nut on the steering wheel driving the car!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3078012

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

The aluminum block should remove a fair amount of weight off the front of the car, improving the front to rear bias and should improve handling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkt8891
      Really the 09's r gettin an ECOTEC, i thought it was the same e-tec II, and the guy at the auto show that was in the chevy booth said they were not changin the engines, but he did hint at they were going to give u an option in 2010 where u can either pick the 1.6L with 107hp, or a 1.8L with around 130hp
      By around 2010 or 2011, the Aveo will be completely redesigned. GM will drop the old Daewoo T200/T250 platform and switch it to the new global Gamma platform. Also, GM is working on a new family of 4 cylinder engines, internally called Family Zero. From what I've seen, the block and head architectures are very close to the Ecotec, so they'll probably use a lot of off the shelf parts to save time and money. The Family Zeros will be small displacement (1.0 to 1.4 liters) and be turbocharged, intercooled, and variable valve timed for maximum power and efficiency. Family Zeros will power the new 2011 Chevy Cobalt replacement and the next generation Aveo, as well as the Aveo based spinoffs, if they make it to market (Chevy Beat, Chevy Trax).

2007 Chevy Aveo LS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkt8891
      We just got two '09 Aveo5's in stock with the new Ecotec at the dealership I work at. At first look, I was a little disappointed because it looked like all they did was put a different valve cover that said ECOTEC on an E-TEC II, but I got to inspect it further and the two engines are like night and day.

The 1.6 ECOTEC looks like a debored and destroked version of the 1.8 ECOTEC in the Saturn/Opel/Vauxhall Astra. As far as block architecture is concerned, all three engines are very similar.

To go back a little bit in history, the E-TEC motors and Daewoo D-TECs started life as Opel designs. Many of the ECOTECs are spawns of these designs, with numerous improvements.

Disappointingly, the ECOTEC 1.6 stuck with the cast iron block, just like the 1.8L Saturn engine, hence the modest horsepower increase. If this engine had an aluminum block, we would've had something in the neighborhood of 115 to 120 horsepower.

As with all ECOTECs, the oil filter is a cartridge that fits inside a chamber. This is situated right at the front of the engine, just to the right of the exhaust manifold. Looks like it should be pretty easy to maintain.

The plastic intake manifold has been done away with, and the new aluminum intake sits lower and further back against the firewall.

The old E-TEC II had one serpentine belt to drive all of the accessories. The new ECOTEC has two accesorry drive belts.

Finally, the valvetrain is chain driven instead of a belt like the E-TEC II.

2007 Chevy Aveo LS

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks

cant wait to see the new motors, sounds promising

Thanks

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-aveo5.html

Here it is.

06' Aveo