•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Aveo Crankshaft-Camshaft Correlation

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2009 Aveo Crankshaft-Camshaft Correlation

We recently had to do a head job on a 2009 Chevy Aveo. The guy never changed his timing belt and ended up bending ALL of the valves when the belt stripped out. We got it all done and back together and now we keep getting a engine code saying theres a correlation problem between the crankshaft and camshafts. I have taken it all back apart 3 additional times after the head was fixed trying to get this straightened out and I am stuck here. Are there any relearn procedures for the Variable Cams? It seems that the phasers/solenoids might keep throwing the exhaust cam out of time? Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you would like to call me my phone number is (517) 442-2054.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AfterHoursAuto View Post
      We recently had to do a head job on a 2009 Chevy Aveo. The guy never changed his timing belt and ended up bending ALL of the valves when the belt stripped out. We got it all done and back together and now we keep getting a engine code saying theres a correlation problem between the crankshaft and camshafts. I have taken it all back apart 3 additional times after the head was fixed trying to get this straightened out and I am stuck here. Are there any relearn procedures for the Variable Cams? It seems that the phasers/solenoids might keep throwing the exhaust cam out of time? Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you would like to call me my phone number is (517) 442-2054.
      the Cam/Crank Relearn procedure requires a Tech 2 or Aftermarket Equivalent (which can cost upwards of thousands of dollars)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      the Cam/Crank Relearn procedure requires a Tech 2 or Aftermarket Equivalent (which can cost upwards of thousands of dollars)
      Will a relearn fix my problem? We have access Snap On Modis. Would it be sufficient to do the relearn procedure?

Thanks
      It is having a hard time starting. Once it starts the idle is up and down, but sounds like its firing on all 4 once it starts. It also bogs down when we give it some gas.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Assuming you've reconnected everything correctely, I'd suspect a timing issue. Did you try a compression and leak down test?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Assuming you've reconnected everything correctely, I'd suspect a timing issue. Did you try a compression and leak down test?
      I've set the timing 3 times. I turn it over by hand a few times and it stays in time. I start it and it runs for a while then the code comes back. I take it back apart and the exhaust cam is out of time. When we had the heads done they ground the valve seats and installed all new valves and new valve seals.

Thanks
      I can't discuss any specific timing procedural aspects, because I've only done belts on my '05 and '06. The '09 uses a different set of part numbers, and so I don't want suggest something that may be wrong for an '09.
      But I will ask did you replaced all 4 timing belt components? From many prior posts, it's been fairly well established that these timing failures are typically caused by component pulley or bearing failures, or installation errors, rather than the belt itself failing. So if there is still an old pulley or the WP in the mix, that might explain what's happening with this Aveo.

Thanks
      I can't discuss any specific timing procedural aspects, because I've only done belts on my '05 and '06. The '09 uses a different set of part numbers, and so I don't want suggest something that may be wrong for an '09.
      But I will ask did you replaced all 4 timing belt components? From many prior posts, it's been fairly well established that these timing failures are typically caused by component pulley or bearing failures, or installation errors, rather than the belt itself failing. So if there is still an old pulley or the WP in the mix, that might explain what's happening with this Aveo.
      I replaced the belt idler and tensioner. the water pump is not driven off of the timing belt in 09. the only thing not replaced are the phasers on the camshafts (It has the variable cam timing).

Thanks
      Yep, I remember now that the WP was taken out of the loop in the '09. The last generic question I'll ask is did you figure out what caused the belt to strip? Bad bearing on the pulley or tensioner? If there's no obvious reason, then perhaps the root cause is also what you're seeing with the timing going off. Have you taken a close look at the cam/crank pulleys? I've never read an account of one of those being bad and causing a problem, but I guess any part could be defective - maybe a hairline crack in the metal allowing some give. Far fetched I know, and also really unlikely.
      Sorry I can't offer much help on this, but obviously I'm not familiar with details of an '09. Good luck, and hope you get it figured out soon!
      Last edited by avguy; 09-14-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
      Yep, I remember now that the WP was taken out of the loop in the '09. The last generic question I'll ask is did you figure out what caused the belt to strip? Bad bearing on the pulley or tensioner? If there's no obvious reason, then perhaps the root cause is also what you're seeing with the timing going off. Have you taken a close look at the cam/crank pulleys? I've never read an account of one of those being bad and causing a problem, but I guess any part could be defective - maybe a hairline crack in the metal allowing some give. Far fetched I know, and also really unlikely.
      Sorry I can't offer much help on this, but obviously I'm not familiar with details of an '09. Good luck, and hope you get it figured out soon!
      I assumed the belt probably stripped out from neglect. The car has 160k miles and it was never changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast