Thread: 2008 Aveo Shifter Linkage fell apart

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Angry 2008 Aveo Shifter Linkage fell apart

2008 Aveo
      96,xxx miles
      5spd

Driving down the highway the shifter would not physically go into 5th. It then began to feel very loose and sloppy I was finally able to slot it into 5th. When i came to a stop it wouldnt go into any gear. Got under the hood and noticed that where the shifter connecto to the transmission theres a ring and ball (looks like a heim joint) I was able to physicannly slot the transmission into 3rd by hand and get to a safe location. This balljust dropped out of the socked. Im assuming there is supposed to be a nylon bushing of some sort in there?

Anyone ever ran into this and have any idea what part is needed?

Thanks
      Turns out its the Transmission Shift Shaft Lever which is covered under the 100K drivetrain warranty.

Thanks
      I know this is an old post, but I just had this same issue. I got off of the Interstate and my shifter just felt like a stick in the water. Called a local tow company to tow my car home, then the driver took a look under my hood and pointed out that the transmission linkage was separated. The white plastic cover over the joint I just pushed up and noticed that the linkage is just separated. I am not extremely technically inclined when it comes to vehicles, but at the same time, as a college student, I don't want to nor can afford to pay the mechanics what they are asking to fix this. The worst estimate that I was given was over $2000. If you @ReverendOD have any more information or anyone has any more information about this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you and I will be checking to see if anyone responds.

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      ^ same thing happened to me about a month ago - I was going to do a post just to document but then found this one. In my situation, car has about 100 thousand miles on it, I was downshifting from 5th to 4th and same as Shadow_Trec, the shifter just felt like a stick in the water. Stuck in 4th gear, I managed to get very close to my shop by timing the lights and multiple dumping and burning the clutch on the one red light I couldn't avoid. To start in 4th is not fun lemme tell ya. Anyways, I had to go straight to work and my boss was able to fix my car before my shift was done so I can't describe anything to see, but he said that part of the linkage actually fell off/out of the car.. we are fortunate to have some large scrap yards close by so they pulled a linkage (with the reverse too, he said) off another Aveo and had it fixed for a hundred and fifty bucks parts and labour. Perhaps this linkage should be inspected pre-emptively on older Aveos, it would have been a costly tow if this had happened in 5th gear as I wouldn't have known how to 'manually' change the transmission gear

Thanks
      Greetings,
      New to this forum, as a member, but used to visit it several times, I m an unhappy Aveo owner, I spent on my 2008 Aveo more than enough, every couple on months there was an issue, decided to stop visiting mechanics and deal with it by myself, cannot afford it, so after reading a couple of topics, I do understand I m not the only one who could not change/shift gears (manual car) because of the the Transmission Shift Shaft, Yes, Yes, I'm referring to This balljust dropped out of the socked. Im assuming there is supposed to be a nylon bushing of some sort in there...
      Tried to look up for nylon bushing for Aveo, found hundreds, can you please let me know where to find it? I can fix this one by myself,
      Name:  shaft.jpg
Views: 9432
Size:  19.0 KB

Please help,
      Thank you

Thanks
      We have the same issue. Can someone guide me through this? I do not know if I needed to replace the whole linkage or just get new bushings. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk