•  

Thread: 2005 Aveo overheating

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2005 Aveo overheating

Hey guys I have a 2005 Aveo and its been a pain... The timing belt broke last year and I had that replaced and a new thermostat and also put in a new radiator and a new cooling fan resistor. Well this thing still overheats on me while im driving... I looked up to replace the waterpump but correct me if I am wrong isnt the water pump driven off of the timing belt? Because everything I have looked up theres nothing that states to take off the timing belt to do the water pump... I am at a loss

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      You need to give more information. First of all, have you been constantly checking the coolant level in the overflow tank, and topping off when necessary? If so, how fast are you losing coolant? You should be able to stay ahead of an overheat by keeping the coolant level topped off. Do you see any sign of wetness on the engine, or anything dripping under the vehicle?

Timing belt breaking normally means bent valves, which in turn means a head gasket replacement. Did all of that happen with yours? Did the T-stat housing or rad leak and cause an overheat? And was that before or after the timing belt broke? It's very unlikely the water pump is your problem right now. It could be a blown head gasket, or (if you're lucky) a simple coolant leak which may be very easy to repair.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The cyl head was taken off and new valves and new head gasket... After that it started to overheat and I had someone put in a thermostat and that didnt solve the issue.. So I noticed my rad was leaking so I replaced that and while I was replacing that I noticed that the cooling fan resistor was shot so I replaced that and the fan would come on. Also during all of this the coolant level would go down some but not a lot I would only add a little at a time nothing too much. I will test for a blown head gasket