Nemasys:
"Hmm i was thinking about this tonite so i thought i would try to ask here. One of my friends has done this with his Civic but then again were talking about Honda here and pretty much anything goes for them...
Anyways what would happen if i were to hook up a 2.0L ECU (u20sed) to the 1.6L of the Aveo? Could there possibly be gains in terms of fuel economy and/or performance? Or would this simply screw up the engine?
In my mind i highly doubt this would work, my friend put an Si ecu on his non-Si Civic and he did gain something he said. Since the 1.6 and 2.0 are fairly identical i just thought it "might" work.
I'm curious about what you guys have to say. "

mtlswift:
"LOL Did he dyno before and after? Butt doesn't count... "

Nemasys:
"Appart from the higher rev limit he got i don't think he got much, but i used to race with him for fun and since he put the Si ecu in i can't beat him anymore so he musta got something somewhere.
One thing i'd like about this is how the rev limiter works, on our cars its very slow but on the 2.0L when you hit the rev limiter its fast, its kinda hard to explain this lol. Ummm say your going 2nd gear with your foot on the floor and you don't let go when you hit rev limit, well the fuel cuts off for 1-2 secs then kicks back in then fuel cut again 1-2 secs later etc etc. On the 2.0L this happens much much faster, well that's what i want on the Aveo, faster rev limit lol! "

AveoSam:
"are we talking kseries civic? because for the kseries u can use any kseries ecu as long as it has KPRO on it...i think they make other programs for the other honda ecu's too....but wouldnt work for us "

Nemasys:
"Not sure if its a kseries i know nothing about honda's all i know is that its a 94 cx with a 94 si ecu...
Anyways i was simply speculating the idea i was pretty sure it wouldnt work. About that rev limiter though anyone know how to make it "faster" on the Aveo? "

y2daniel1981:
"yeah, get an EMS, lol "

precisionboost:
"Currently the power levels start dropping off near redline.... so by increasing the redline would do nothing to make the car faster.
You rev limiter is set there for a reason..... and you would need to upgrade cylinder head components (including porting the head for better Volumetric efficency at high RPM ) and the connecting rod bolts would need to be upgraded before going for a higher redline.
The force on the connecting rods is directly proportional to the square of the RPM
So.... increasing the RPM by 1000 would increase the load on the pistons by a factor of roughly 30% to 35% which is about the same as if you were running 15psi of boost.
RPM is the biggest killer of connecting rods.... not boost..... it's hard to explain without getting into a huge technical post... you just have to trust my engineering background on this one.
Hmmmm...... go read "maximum boost" by corky bell..... he explains it well enough for most people to understand."

Nemasys:
"I wasnt looking for a higher rev limit, just wanted to know if putting the 2.0L ecu would produce more power. "

megaveo610:
"ya the high speed limiter has little to do with this...ur looking for the grey area? not worth it my friend. i was in the dyno with a few friends and some performence trucks. Swapping out ECU's are dangerous business, why not mod them? hook up the ole laptop computer and have a lil chat with ur fuel and air flow modules...add a chip u never know...
i dont know what ur fuel system looks like but you will be messing up ur system if you do this. its like trying to teach an old dog new tricks...only the dog doesnt want to learn them. im surprised it worked for the honda, but like u said, honda's are flexible, they'll take ne thing. but for our aveo's, stay away from higher litered ECU's especially with no fuel upgrades (pressure regs, fiel rail, etc. etc) "

precisionboost:
"No.... it probably will not produce power.... in fact.... it's been the opposite is true.... the 1.6L put into an Forneza/Optra will increase power output slightly.
Any way you cut it...... it's dangerous (as megaveo610 said ).... there is no way to know how the system will react."