•  

Thread: 05 timing belt idler pulley broke tare down rebuild swap

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

05 timing belt idler pulley broke tare down rebuild swap

so the other day a bmw thought he would be cool and try to pass me getting on the on ramp to the thruway so i gladly responded with a quick downshift and a right foot adjustment that landed me in 3rd @6ooo rpm when my idler pully broke into what seems to be a million pieces after 5 hours in a parking lot i put a new timing belt water pump adjuster and a idler pulley on and no start (i know i had to try) compression test says dead engine so this week i am going to remove the head and see if i need a new motor or if i can rebuild it if anyone can offer advice on doing anything that they have found I.E. short cuts tricks hidden bolts ect. let me know im very good at fixing cars but im sure someone found something somewhere anyweb sites they have found with good parts or if other motors fit in these with stock tranny (2.0 na 2.2. 2.4) im also going to be taking lots of pix and video during this for others to see how its done and how to do the timing belt bc i have seem on one post people were talking about it taking 10-12 hours to do and i did it in the cold at night in 5 hours

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I'm going through the exact same thing right now... idler pulley shattered... engine acting like no compression so I'm in the middle of pulling the head. Hope to have it done by this weekend! Looks like I'm going to be pulling it with the intake manifold attached and then removing that after. Good luck!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      yeah i pulled it as one unit i bent all of my exhaust valves just a heads up there are two bolts on back of intake man that you need to remove off a bracket to pull the head and intake man as one took me forever to figure out

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Just got mine out last night. All my exhaust valves are bent too. Intake ones look ok. And yeah we started lifting the head with a forklift and got hung up on that same bracket. Caught it before we bent it but I didn't think we were ever going to get it out lol. Just uploaded some pics of the valves/pistons. http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/n...ad-help-14757/

You replacing the valves yourself?