•  
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 04 Aveo Hatchback getting new engine!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Getting close - about 1/2 back together

I took today and tomorrow off work to try to get this project wrapped up. I organized all of my parts to see what I got put back on. I took the advice of others on this forum and ordered a new timing idler pully, adjuster pully, and a metal thermostat housing. The family I bought the car from had it at KarGuard and they had already put a new timing belt and water pump on it, so I didn't have to buy those. I also bought a cam lock tool to help me line up the timing belt.

I got the pistons cleaned up nicely using brake cleaner. The head looks really good after getting it reworked at the machine shop. To get the had back on, I set my ladders up again but this time I used a motorcycle nylon strap and threw it over the wood beam. Then just lowered it down. I had to jack up the engine a little to get it lined up, but it worked really well!

There is a hose on that connects to the back of the head and the firewall that is a nightmare to get on. For anyone reading this in preparation to do their car, I would highly recommend you connect this hose to the head BEFORE you put the head on. Then you only have to connect the other end to the firewall. There is just no room to get plyers on the clamp. I ended up using a screw clamp instead of the squeeze clamp. There is just no way to get the squeeze clamp on once the head is back on the block, or if there is I couldn't do it. I spent more time screwing around with this dumb hose today than I did getting the head bolted back on.

I have a few gaskets that came with the engine gasket set and I can't figure out where they go. I'll do a separate post and hopefully someone can help me with that!
      Name:  DSCN0008.jpg
Views: 3251
Size:  94.4 KBName:  DSCN0009.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  94.7 KBName:  DSCN0010.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  88.5 KBName:  DSCN0011.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  96.1 KBName:  DSCN0012.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  95.6 KBName:  DSCN0017.jpg
Views: 2062
Size:  97.6 KB

Thanks

Where do these gaskets go???

If anyone can tell me where these gaskets go, I'd be grateful! The machine shop that redid the head bought a gasket set because he needed new valve seals, and the set came with about everything I needed. There is a round orange rubber gasket that I can't figure out where it goes?

Also, the set came with a bag of 15 small o-rings which I figured out they go on valve cover. But there is also a bag of 8 small o-rings and I have no idea where these go?

And finally, there is 1 small seal that I have no idea where it goes. Any help with these would be appreciated.
      Thanks, JP
      Name:  DSCN0013.jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  77.9 KBName:  DSCN0016.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  94.3 KBName:  DSCN0015.jpg
Views: 2106
Size:  92.5 KB

Thanks
      I had the same problem as you. The eight o-rings are for your fuel injectors. I think the big orange gasket is for your crankshaft; I didn't use this one or the little black gasket for my head.

I think the little black one was for the pcv valve.
      Last edited by oinkjackson; 08-26-2011 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by oinkjackson View Post
      I had the same problem as you. The eight o-rings are for your fuel injectors. I think the big orange gasket is for your crankshaft; I didn't use this one or the little black gasket for my head.

I think the little black one was for the pcv valve.
      great, thanks!! so did you change the fuel injector o-rings? If so, were they hard to get off? Seems like I should go ahead and change them since I have them. I really appreciate the help. I never would have figured that out!

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Yes change any o-ring that has been used and removed.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      wait, you hoisted the head back onto the block? really? is there a reason, i think thats the first time i have heard of someone doing that (its a novel idea don't get me wrong) but the head isnt that heavy, and i just set it on.

sounds like your got most of it together and going well.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      wait, you hoisted the head back onto the block? really? is there a reason, i think thats the first time i have heard of someone doing that (its a novel idea don't get me wrong) but the head isnt that heavy, and i just set it on.

sounds like your got most of it together and going well.
      hey Rabbit. The main reason I used the strap to lower the head on is because I have a bad back, and although it's not that heavy, for me to try to set it on leaning over like that would have pulled my back and I wouldn't be able to walk for a week! Plus, the bolts on the intake manifold and cat converter have to be lined up just right or it won't just set on. But your right, it's not that heavy so a person without back issues should be able to just set it on.

I worked on it all day yesterday and all I have left is the timing belt, the radiator, and the battery and I should be ready to try it. I'm extremely nervous to turn the key. I have this bad feeling it's not going to run. Hopefully it will!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Jonphilip View Post
      If anyone can tell me where these gaskets go, I'd be grateful! The machine shop that redid the head bought a gasket set because he needed new valve seals, and the set came with about everything I needed. There is a round orange rubber gasket that I can't figure out where it goes?

Also, the set came with a bag of 15 small o-rings which I figured out they go on valve cover. But there is also a bag of 8 small o-rings and I have no idea where these go?

And finally, there is 1 small seal that I have no idea where it goes. Any help with these would be appreciated.
      Thanks, JP
      So when I was putting things back together I noticed the throttle body was extremely dirty so I decided to remove it and low and behold I found where the round orange gasket goes! oinkjackson told me the small 8 small o-rings go on the fuel injectors. So I pulled the injecters out and they do in fact have 2 o-rings each. Except the bottom o-ring is not as thick as the ones that came in the gasket set. I tried them anyway but couldn't get the injectors back into the intake manifold. So I ended up replacing the top o-rings but left the same bottom ones on. Hopefully this won't be an issue but if it is they are easy to get out.

I still don't know where the small black seal goes? The car doesn't have a PCV valve.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the kit is probably "universal" to the engines that do have the PCV valve.

and thumbs up for ingenuity for helping your bad back with the hoist.

Thanks

Water pump wrench

I got everything back together and was trying to get the timing belt on. Another post I read said you can use water pump pliers to rotate the water pump to tighten the belt. Well, some people may have success using pliers, but it just didn't work for me. It was tearing up the water pump and not working. Maybe the pliers I had were too big I don't know, but I decided to get the right tool for the job. Unfortunately, no one in my area carries this tool so I had to order it from Ebay. It was $15 + $4 shipping and should be here in a few days.

If you search Ebay for "Lisle 13500 - 41mm Water Pump Wrench for GM 1.6L", you'll find the tool. Again, I don't recommend anyone use the pliers. Save yourself some frustation and order the wrench!
      Name:  x.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  15.8 KB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast