•  
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 04 Aveo Hatchback getting new engine!

Thanks
      Wow, I totally missed this thread until today. Nice work so far!

You got away lucky with just a head rebuild, mine was a bit more banged up. Looks like you'll get away with a good working Aveo at a great price though.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Same year and even color as mine and it looks great. Nice work on pulling the engine and I feel your pain with the back hurting. I'm very glad you started this project and thread in case my back ever improves and I have a need to pull the engine out.

Did you ever remove the AC? I'm thinking about tearing mine out by myself and if it's not too hard I might make it a project. I don't think there's any refrigerant left but I could be wrong.

Also nice to see someone observing the Lord's day AND setting aside time for the kids. If this site allowed reputation points I'd be dishing them out to you like cookies
      Name:  m%u00252526m%2Bcookies.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  69.3 KB

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      Wow, I totally missed this thread until today. Nice work so far!

You got away lucky with just a head rebuild, mine was a bit more banged up. Looks like you'll get away with a good working Aveo at a great price though.
      thanks Daox. I was hoping you would chime in on this thread and offer your expertise. I thought you were snubbing me or somthing as this project is right up your alley! Anywy, it's coming along pretty well. Now I just hope I can get it all back together.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by micman View Post
      Same year and even color as mine and it looks great. Nice work on pulling the engine and I feel your pain with the back hurting. I'm very glad you started this project and thread in case my back ever improves and I have a need to pull the engine out.

Did you ever remove the AC? I'm thinking about tearing mine out by myself and if it's not too hard I might make it a project. I don't think there's any refrigerant left but I could be wrong.

Also nice to see someone observing the Lord's day AND setting aside time for the kids. If this site allowed reputation points I'd be dishing them out to you like cookies
      hey micman,
      I ending up not pulling the engine out. It was just the head that I took off and pulled out so the AC is still hooked up. Thanks for the kind words! For all the dad's out there reading this, definitely spend time with your kids. They grow up fast!!!

Thanks

Head is out getting worked

quick update for anyone following this project... so the head is now at the machine shop. the machinist called me yesterday and said all 16 valves were bent! nice!!! He said the head was not warped or anything so that is good. I told him to go ahead and clean it and replace the valves and do whatever else machinists do to these. The total bill with the head work, gasket set, and head bolts is close to $500. I was hoping to not spend that much, but it's still cheaper than a new engine and less work. He should have it done early next week, so I might actually have this car running by next weekend which would be awesome. I'll update again when I make some more progress...

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      That is not too bad, another head would have cost over $400 on it's own, at least all the valves and such will be new.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i'm not surprised they are all bent, but your still price on point for a cheap fix.

Thanks

Head is half way home!

My dad picked up the head from the machine shop yesterday. I need to go out and get it from him on Sat. but he said it looks good. The machinist replaced all 16 valves, 2 stem seats?, and cleaned it up. In the mean-time, I'm trying to have everything ready to go when I put it back together. I just ordered a new idler pulley and dampner pulley from Ebay.

I have a few questions as I get ready to put it back together.
      1. should I use any never-seize or motor oil on the head bolts or put them in dry?
      2. do I put any type of gasket sealant on the head gasket or leave it dry?
      3. how do I keep the cam sprockets and crank pulley from turning when I go to torque the bolts on them?

thanks, JP

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      no anti sieze, they are stretch bolts, must go in dry, and torque properly, make sure the holes a clean.

no sealant on the gasket, if you havent bought it make sure it is mls (multi layer steel).

hold them still. they can move a little, but set the back to top dead center before bolting it to the block (which needs to be at tdc).

Thanks
      Great write-up. I'm going through the exact same thing. I just got my head back from the machine shop and all 16 valves were also bent. The price was the same as yours. Everything is going back on farely well. This forum has been a blessing because I'm doing this for the first time too.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast