•  
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 04 Aveo Hatchback getting new engine!

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Might be able to save paper and just print out the materials covering your project. I wish we had a hanes or chiltons on our cars, but that probably won't happen for a long time.

That's great to hear of someone going so far out of their field of work and see what they can do. There are too many people who won't go out of their comfort zone and try something new. Best of luck with your project, and welcome to the forum.

http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      hi Rabbit. do you have a link to the user manual? It would still be helpful so that way I could read up on my lunch break at work. The version I bought on Ebay had to be installed and actually runs as a Virtual XP Machine. It kinda sucks. Plain .html or .PDF's would be much better. Thanks! JP

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by daug1502 View Post
      Might be able to save paper and just print out the materials covering your project. I wish we had a hanes or chiltons on our cars, but that probably won't happen for a long time.

That's great to hear of someone going so far out of their field of work and see what they can do. There are too many people who won't go out of their comfort zone and try something new. Best of luck with your project, and welcome to the forum.
      Thanks Daug. I appreciate the warm welcome from everyone. I think this will be a fun project! JP

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      its more than 1000 page iirc, so printing it isnt really ink friendly, plus i think it is the $15 ebay manual, just free.

No one will come to you for ac, i can not tell you to let it into the atmosphere, but if you are really really careful, you can tie it up to the rad support.

Are you doing the whole engine or just putting a head on? i would probably start with pulling the head and seeing if its rebuildable. less money, less work, in a sense.
      My dad keeps telling me I should pull the head off as well, but I'm really leaning towards just pulling the whole engine and replacing it since I never even heard the car run. Plus there is another post on here where a guy replaced the head and the car still didn't run right. I think he determined it had bad main bearings or something. So, I will pull the head off out of curiousity, but I think I'm going to focus on getting the engine out 1st. I'd like to have the car running in the next 6 weeks before it starts to get cold. JP

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I would pull the head and check the condition, what is the cause of failure? timing belt? the guy with the bearing problem ran it with no oil. If it is not running due to a failed timing belt you need 4-8 valves (up to 16). And a new belt. Unless someone cranked the car over and over until the top of the piston fails when the valve sheared off. But you would see that with the head pulled.

Thanks

A good air compressor helps!

Thought I'd give update on my project. Been a rough week with the kids being sick, so I didn't get as much done as I wanted to. I continued to unplug and label connections. A good buddy from work gave me a good tip to help with labeling hoses. He said to get some colored plastic ties and tie them on a hose that is taken off and 1 on the connector it came off. I thought this was a good tip to share.

I have been needing to buy an air compressor for years but have kept putting off buying one. So I managed to get the bottom pully off by wrapping the serpentine belt around the pully and then hooking it onto a tie rod. This held the pully from spinning and allowed me to get the pully off. Then when I tried to remove the cam sprockets, of course they were spinning and I messed around for a long time trying to come up with a good way to hold them to get the bolts out. After wasting about an hour, I finally decided it was time to break down and buy an air compressor. I bought a Husky 26 gal. from Home Depot for $239. It came with a hose and connectors, an air ratchet, and an impact gun. I thought that was a pretty good price for everything I got. It's not a professional air compressor, but should work good for the little use it will see in my garage. The cam sprockets came off with the impact gun in about 10 seconds!Name:  DSCN5216.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  95.4 KBName:  DSCN5217.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  88.9 KBName:  DSCN5218.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  93.4 KBName:  compressor.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  12.2 KB

Thanks

Getting the head off

My dad and Rabbit both suggested I take the head off 1st to see what it looks like. I was pretty sure the engine was toast based on what I've been reading about this problem but I thought it would be wise to take their advice. Plus it should make it easier to get the engine out with the top part of it out if the pisons are in fact ruined.

I followed the instructions from the DVD service manual I bought on Ebay. I really wish Chilton or Haynes had a manual because the factory GM manual isn't very detailed and the illustrations are crap. So I followed all of the steps, which say the head, exhaust manifold, and intake manifold should all come off in 1 piece. I got everything that I could find unhooked and put my floor jack under the car and a 2x4 on it and jacked to break the head loose.

There was something I missed behind the intake manifold that was still connected and I worked for hours trying to find what was holding it. Finally, I decided to unbolt the intake manifold. That was a real challenge getting the 9 bolts out. I finally got them all and was ready to try to pull it out again. My neighbor suggested we use his hand winch to lift it off. We needed something to hang it from so we used 2 step ladders and a 4x4 piece of wood. DISCLAIMER**** I am not recommending anyone use this method as it is not safe. But because I'm a backyard mechanic, I have to be creative! But it actually worked very well and head finally came off.

I spent 5 1/2 hrs. on this today, plus another 4 or so previously getting the timing belt off. I know all of the professional mechanics are rolling at this because this should probably only be a 2 hr. job, but for someone that sits behind a computer all, it's a 9+ hr. job. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the pics. Me and my neigbor were joking and having a good time admiring our ladder/winch system, and I hate to imagine what people driving by and looking in my garage thought but in the end it worked and the head is off!Name:  DSCN5219.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  92.7 KBName:  DSCN5220.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  95.9 KBName:  DSCN5221.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  96.4 KBName:  DSCN5222.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  97.6 KBName:  DSCN5223.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  98.8 KBName:  DSCN5224.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  92.6 KB

Thanks

The engine is indeed trashed

After getting the head off and looking things over, all 4 pistons are ruined where the valves smashed into them. The valves don't appear to be sheared off, but I'm guessing they are bent???

I guess my next step is to continue working on getting the engine and transmission out and start looking for a good junk yard engine. I had found 1 on Ebay about 2 hrs. away that only had 43k miles on it that I was watching but someone bought it so I'll have to keep looking.

I'm going to take a break tomorrow since it's Sunday and the Lord's day. Plus my hands are awefully cut up after today, my back hurts, and my kids are needing some quality time spent with them. I can understand why garages charge up to $2k for a job like this. It's alot of work, and it sucks. But it's rewarding when it's finished and all comes together. Hopefully this project will have a happy ending! I'll continue to post as I make progress. Hopefully these posts will be helpful to someone working on a similiar project.Name:  DSCN5225.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  96.6 KBName:  DSCN5226.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  83.8 KBName:  DSCN5227.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  93.6 KBName:  DSCN5228.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  88.0 KBName:  DSCN5229.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  95.4 KB

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      lower end looks fine to me. i know its just pictures..

those are notches in the pistons, not smash marks.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      lower end looks fine to me. i know its just pictures..

those are notches in the pistons, not smash marks.
      +1, any more pictures?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast