•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $250 for a hunk of rubber!?!

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

$250 for a hunk of rubber!?!

well, looks like the intake boot i accidentally tore when replacing my Condenser finally reared its ugly head; this afternoon, Scoot Scoot lost ALL Power, went down to 10MPH, with the tachometer bouncing between 1000 and 2000 RPM. and even earlier, while waiting at a traffic light, the engine bogged down to where it was threatening to stall. I went to GMPartsDirect to see how much a new boot would cost, and got MASSIVE Sticker Shock! GM wants $250 FOR A HUNK OF MOLDED RUBBER!!? and Guess what: THERE ARE NO AFTERMAKRET OPTIONS! at this point, I'm willing to drive to Detroit, Find the Pencil Necked Bean Counter Who Thought that $250 was a fair Price, AND BEAT HIM WITH HIS OWN OVERPRICED PART!

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      well, looks like the intake boot i accidentally tore when replacing my Condenser finally reared its ugly head; this afternoon, Scoot Scoot lost ALL Power, went down to 10MPH, with the tachometer bouncing between 1000 and 2000 RPM. and even earlier, while waiting at a traffic light, the engine bogged down to where it was threatening to stall. I went to GMPartsDirect to see how much a new boot would cost, and got MASSIVE Sticker Shock! GM wants $250 FOR A HUNK OF MOLDED RUBBER!!? and Guess what: THERE ARE NO AFTERMAKRET OPTIONS! at this point, I'm willing to drive to Detroit, Find the Pencil Necked Bean Counter Who Thought that $250 was a fair Price, AND BEAT HIM WITH HIS OWN OVERPRICED PART!
      My advice? Stop the emotional reaction and get thee to a junkyard to find the part.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      My advice? Stop the emotional reaction and get thee to a junkyard to find the part.
      Unfortunately, the Aveo is RARELY in any of my local junkyards, and I pretty much found out WHY the thing is so damn expensive: you are paying for a new MAF sensor as well as the pipe itself.

Sent to the Interwebs by a Phone Shaped Apple

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Unfortunately, the Aveo is RARELY in any of my local junkyards, and I pretty much found out WHY the thing is so damn expensive: you are paying for a new MAF sensor as well as the pipe itself.

This might take some of the sting off it. About $75 cheaper than you found

GM Air Intake Outlet Tube 96808176 | eBay

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EAD15 For This Useful Post:

Orange_Crush (09-14-2016)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by EAD15 View Post
      This might take some of the sting off it. About $75 cheaper than you found

GM Air Intake Outlet Tube 96808176 | eBay
      Looks like that is my only choice, because I went and checked out the '09 at the LKQ yard, and THIS is what greeted me:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2010AveoLT For This Useful Post:

Orange_Crush (09-14-2016)

Thanks

After using COPIUS amounts of Gorilla Tape, and one Commute to work later, I'm CONVINCED that if anyone has the problem of losing ALL power, engine stalling or threatening to stall, as well as surging or bucking, the VERY FIRST thing that should be inspected (and don't just feel it in the car, ACTUALLY REMOVE IT and look at it at from ALL angles!) is the Intake pipe!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2010AveoLT For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (08-07-2016)

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      After using COPIUS amounts of Gorilla Tape, and one Commute to work later, I'm CONVINCED that if anyone has the problem of losing ALL power, engine stalling or threatening to stall, as well as surging or bucking, the VERY FIRST thing that should be inspected (and don't just feel it in the car, ACTUALLY REMOVE IT and look at it at from ALL angles!) is the Intake pipe!
      I could not agree more. My intake on my 2006 had holes in it and you could not see until you removed it entirely. Glad I got a new one. Alas the 2006 is way cheaper than yours.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      I could not agree more. My intake on my 2006 had holes in it and you could not see until you removed it entirely. Glad I got a new one. Alas the 2006 is way cheaper than yours.
      And not only that, enough time has passed where the 2004-2008 intake pipe is being manufactured in the aftermarket; 2009-2011 owners only have 3 choices: the junkyard which a complete crapshoot, eBay where the prices are less than dealer, but are still expensive; or you can go for the full Stealership Wallet Rape.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      You can pick one up on Rockauto for $36 bucks. 2005 CHEVROLET AVEO 1.6L L4 Air Cleaner Intake Hose | RockAuto
      Not sure what year is your car but you might want to check there. Dealer price is probably about $120.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
      You can pick one up on Rockauto for $36 bucks. 2005 CHEVROLET AVEO 1.6L L4 Air Cleaner Intake Hose | RockAuto
      Not sure what year is your car but you might want to check there. Dealer price is probably about $120.
      I've already looked at Rock Auto, and the one they are selling is for the older E-TEC engine. If I were to try to use the older intake pipe, it wouldn't fit because the throttle body position was changed when they went to the Gen III engine. Instead of being up high and horizontal like on the old engine, they put the throttle body on the Gen III engine down low and vertical.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast